RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SGDM mounting questions

paradox

http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-gen8-drive-bracket.html

Was hoping someone who has used the bracket could help answer some questions about it.

I've got 3x M9 2TB drives now (actually, third is on the way in the mail right now), when adding the third to the bracket, should it attach to the (SATA connections pointing down) right-side drive?
And when attaching it to the drive, can I use the 9.5mm spacers to give a bigger gap between the drives for getting airflow down there?

Also I just thought, if the third drive is attached on the right side drive, if you used only the bracket on the left side of each drive as the point of attachment it would still be sufficiently secure I think, especially for small light drives like these, and it would also give airflow access to the entire top of those drives on the right side from a blower fan, which would otherwise be blocked by the second bracket on the right wouldn't it, creating a solid barrier?

I just used another same size drive to see where the problem was when trying to use 4x of them with the brackets, I haven't removed the bracket securing the PSU in the pictures so there was still a bit of room left for the bracket to go into the case - it looks to me like you could indeed fit 4 of these size drives in there? or is there a problem I am not seeing with it?

Here are some pics I took:

jeBuma5.jpg

just holding a bracket in line with the screws (this is the thinner bracket)
txzqYW6.jpg

With the two drives you have, stack them using the 9.5 MM stackers and mount that pair in the back/left location on the SDM.

Take the two screws out of the power supply mount and see how far back the bracket goes. It will not go back far enough to be a good fit against the PS.

If you are stacking drives, I would always recommend putting stackers on each side of the drive, to reduce any vibration. I had considered putting holes in the stackers to provide more air flow, but that weakened the stacker and I did not have room to use thicker metal.

SDM Rev4 may have the ability to hold four 9.5MM 2.5" drives, but I am still working on that.

I had considered putting holes in the stackers to provide more air flow, but that weakened the stacker and I did not have room to use thicker metal.

I was thinking of drilling holes in them myself actually and wondered why you hadn't done that to begin with, so I guess that answers that question and I'll leave them as-is.

SDM Rev4 may have the ability to hold four 9.5MM 2.5" drives, but I am still working on that.

Something I'd be interested in for sure

Just a picture showing 3x Seagate M9T 2TB drives mounted:

hYlhjMR.jpg

Edited by paradox