RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tinkererguy

This SuperServer can be both a virtualization lab and a triple 4K monitor Windows 10 workstation, simultaneously!

tinkererguy

Cool stuff, Poppapete, thanks for the pointers!

FYI, I wound up with a dose of reality, needing more storage now (some stuff I have going on later this summer into fall), and NVMe not looking to be coming out with the latest big capacities.

So the Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD fits the need nicely, if not the pocketbook.

Got legit Windows 10 10240 now installed on there, a good day!

https://twitter.com/paulbraren/status/626245471758061570

Windows-10-10240-installed.png

Poppapete

Just bought "Building a Windows 10 Home Server" by Terry Walsh. 900 pages of good stuff which is a bit basic for you. After using 3 versions of Home Server and 2012 R2 E (using skipdomainjoin) he has convinced me to use W10 for my next Server. I will use Veeam for backups and Drivepool (with duplication) for file serving and plex for media. Cheap and easy for anyone. It even has Hyper-V to run whatever else I might need.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Just bought "Building a Windows 10 Home Server" by Terry Walsh. 900 pages of good stuff which is a bit basic for you. After using 3 versions of Home Server and 2012 R2 E (using skipdomainjoin) he has convinced me to use W10 for my next Server. I will use Veeam for backups and Drivepool (with duplication) for file serving and plex for media. Cheap and easy for anyone. It even has Hyper-V to run whatever else I might need.

If you don't want the domain and website, then yes, Windows 10 is a fantastic choice.

Though, a lot of that stuff in the ebook is rehashed stuff from previous versions. But no issues with updating it, at all.

Also, that "micro server" is really nice.  But subscribing to Supermicro's twitter feed is bad for my wallet...

That said, is it horrible that I kind of (read: really, really)) want to build a dual Xeon E5-2699 v3 system for my media center, so I can transcode multiple streams for Emby without batting an eye?

Poppapete

Also, that "micro server" is really nice.  But subscribing to Supermicro's twitter feed is bad for my wallet...

That said, is it horrible that I kind of (read: really, really)) want to build a dual Xeon E5-2699 v3 system for my media center, so I can transcode multiple streams for Emby without batting an eye?

I am sure you have seen this but what do you think of it?

https://tinkertry.com/superserverworkstation

tinkererguy

I'm very curious to hear what Drashna thinks as well. Everybody has different budgets and needs, widely varying perspectives, always a good thing.

Also, you heard it here first: I'm trying to get a loaner SuperServer Workstation (same 5028D-TN4T model) together for meetup 2015, and it's looking pretty promising. What better way for people to form an opinion than by seeing it in person and trying it out, first-hand.

By the way, here's some recent comments from a happy fellow in South Africa:

2177159678-d1f0f8487e13baf6a419a10ec7d2b

Drashna Jaelre

Yup, I've seen it, I subscribe to Paul's RSS feed.

And yeah, I think it's a great write up about it, and a great piece of hardware.  

It would definitely make a good workstation box, or a very good "starter server".  And by starter, ... well, it looks like the CPU is comparable to the Xeon E3-1245v3 I have in my server, with a much lower TDP (and a lot smaller). And at a similar price point, actually

And it definitely has a good number of options of what you can do with it..  Pop in a LSI HBA that has an external SAS port, and you have a very expandable storage server.    Or install HyperV or ESX on it, and it would definitely be a fantastic virtualization lab.  Or pop in a good video card, and you have a nice video editing workstation.

In fact, I was considering picking up one of these sooner or later so I can move HyperV off of my main (storage/media) server. 

Taffeys

How did I miss this? Now I am so happy that I did not buy a Gen8. I thought I had reached a plateau and was just waiting for something like this to happen. Not a fan of Supermicro but this little box might just change that. Now..... how to pay for it?

Drashna Jaelre

How did I miss this? Now I am so happy that I did not buy a Gen8. I thought I had reached a plateau and was just waiting for something like this to happen. Not a fan of Supermicro but this little box might just change that. Now..... how to pay for it?

I've heard not so good things about SuperMicro's support, but I've never had to deal with them, so I can't comment.

And if you want more of a DIY feel, get the ASRock RACK E3C226D2I  motherboard, and grab a Norco S4-ITX case, and build it yourself. :)

jmwills

Comparing the two is like apples and oranges.  The D-1540 has the CPU on the board (System on Chip) and has 4 DIMM slots to support up to 128 GB RAM.  The ASROCK board only has two slots and then you have to buy a CPU.  The D-1540 b oard can be had for about $795 and one stick of 32GB RAM was about $180 I believe.

Taffeys

I prefer the "DIY feel" so I have sourced everything for a D-1540 "DIY" build and prebuilt.

Here are the lowest costs to my door I have found so far (US$).

Turn-key w/o memory $1300

Motherboard - $930

Chassis - $170

Memory two-each Samsung 32GB DDR4-2133 MHz  LRDIMM LP - $660

I'll look at the ASRock RACK E3C226D2I  motherboard and the Norco S4-ITX case next.

The ASROCK RACK E3C226D21 + Norco S3-ITX Case would run me about $350. I already have an Xeon E3-1265L-V3. I would need to buy a Flex ATX power supply and memory. Biggest issue I would have with this build is this motherboard is limited to 16GB. I run NAS4Free with ZFS so the memory limitation would be quite serious with this setup. But cost would be very low. More to tihnk about.