RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tinkererguy

This SuperServer can be both a virtualization lab and a triple 4K monitor Windows 10 workstation, simultaneously!

Taffeys

OK, after looking at all my options and my needs (versus my wants and getting my head out of the clouds thinking about the Supermicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T) I have decided to go with an ASROCK RACK E3C226D21 motherboard in a CFI A6039 NAS Server Mini-ITX Case with 5 Hot-Swappable HDD/SSD Trays. I am going to sell my QNAP TS-431+ (less HDDs).

I looked at the Norco ITX-S4 case recommended by Drashna; it is really compact. But the CFI case looks better suited to my needs and it comes with a power supply. The Fractal Design FD-CA-NODE-804-BL Case also looks really nice but it is just too big for my present needs. The CFI Case measures 9.8” (250mm) H x 7.9” (200mm) W x 11.8” (300mm) D.

CFI A6039 Case

I needed more memory so purchased Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 16GB DDR3L-1600 ECC RAM.

Parts will be arriving to me this week; I’ll post updates as I build out this box.

• Like 1

tinkererguy

HSS Pro, please do let us know how it goes, but I agree, that's a very different animal, and brand, perhaps start up a new thread here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/102-oem-others/

I have put together a list of things I discussed during my recent presentation of this SuperServer SYS-5028D-TN4T with 128GB of RAM:

TinkerTry.com/hssmeetup2015-superserver-presentation

that happened at the Home Server Show meetup in Indianapolis. That Microsoft facility was great (multiple video inputs with all sorts of connector adapters, 1920x1200 projectors), thank you Dave!

featured.png

COtsryGWIAA482I.jpg

a5ian300zx

I got myself one of these Superserver to work on as my homelab to test different environment and systems.

Currently have a Gen8 with only 16GB which was struggling big time.

can't wait to start building and testing with new Cisco SG300 28 port fanless switch to.

Thanks  

tinkererguy

How did it go, happy with it?

a5ian300zx

How did it go, happy with it?

Hi,

I am loving it and have followed your guides, cant wait to start installing VM and testing.

Thanks

damir

Hello Paul,

I would like to thank you for providing so much useful information available about SYS-5028D-TN4T.

Talking about WiredZone about Shipping (Internationally) and figuring out costs. (In case i decide to order, will use your website / links for ordering).

Would it be smart to use onboard RAID controller for RAID10 or RAID5 at least? (Maybe 1TB SSD for ESXI install / VMs and RAID5/10 as DATASTORAGE), or should i consider hardware raid card? (if so, which one would you recommend?)

My idea is to install latest version of ESXI, running pfSense, and few other VMs as well.

Please advise

tinkererguy

Damir, I'm so sorry I just spotted this inquiry tonight.

I had composed a response, but then the captcha challenge came up, which kept the draft from getting posted, losing all my work. Before I rewrite it, let me just ask, are you still seeking advice? The Intel RSTe that is onboard is unfortunately not VMware ESXi compatible, but with NVMe M.2 speeds these days, it doesn't matter so much anymore...

damir

Hello Paul,

No need to apologize, its all good. (I am very thankful to you for responding to this question/thread).

Yep, i am still deciding what to do.

So, you do not think RAID would be needed?

What i am planing to do is run ESXI (pfsense / few other VMs).

This is why i am still deciding if i should go with 1u instead of hot swappable case.

I was also thinking of purchasing from WiredZone, as you recommend, just not sure about customs / fees importing this hardware to Canada.

Big thanks

JackoUK

Please add me to the 'catching up after a year list'.

Great machine, great write up, want one, but ...

Pluses

Low power consumption

Large memory

Compute power

10GBE ports

Hot swap drive bays

Compact

Quiet

Minuses

The graphics power is out of balance with the rest of the system, limited by space and the total power draw of course. So a development workstation, yes ... but not a graphics or video workstation ... where something like 6/8GB of GDDR5 in the new NVIDIA 1060/1070 would be a better investment. For home use I'd be inclined to go with an overclocked Skylake build around the ASROCK Extreme7 motherboard. (If I needed virtualisation and graphics but had no money then it would have to be the Superserver though.)

[Note: 3 by 4 megapixels is not 4K ... that would be a single  4096 by 2160 or larger.]

Those 10GBE ports ... have to have something to connect to ... and that means an expensive 10GBE switch and 10GBE ports the other end. Now only expensive, instead of very expensive.

Very interested in the VSAN. Will keep watching!