RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Helzy

SBS 2011 licensing?

Helzy

So I got a completely not as described shipment from Ebay the other day. It was advertised as an N54L and was actually an N40L, but had the COA for SBS 2011 Essentials and it was installed and operable (although the machine had plastic damage). I had intended to license 2012 Essentials for backing up an 1/2 dozen workgroup computers because the Ebay listing did not mention any server licensing, but this would save me the 2012 license cost, which I had not expected. I reset the admin password and then reset the server to factory defaults, but I'm not certain if this is legal or not. As for the reset, once I was in the operating system, it was joined to a domain which was no good to me anyway but the only way I could see was to reset it to be able to use it. I assume I am within my license rights as the license is attached to the back of the unit anyway, but want to be certain, I don't want to jeopardize my other licensing, also I want to make sure this is ethical, it feels funny for some reason? Any thoughts?

Drashna Jaelre

Is the COA attached to the chassis?

Looks like HP shipped a bundle based on the N40l and SBS 2011: http://www8.hp.com/nz/en/ad/prepare/prepare.html . You hold the COA, the license key is yours.

Specifically, it's an OEM license in that case (most likely), which means the license belongs to the hardware and is (*in theory*) non-transferable (in theory, because microsoft will let you, in the case of hardware failure and other circumstances)

Helzy

Is the COA attached to the chassis?

Looks like HP shipped a bundle based on the N40l and SBS 2011: http://www8.hp.com/nz/en/ad/prepare/prepare.html . You hold the COA, the license key is yours.

INdeed part number for the server is the same too except for the suffix on this one is -001 and yes the CoA is attached to the chassis. I just received the N54L I bought from Ebay this morning and it came with a Server 2008 R2 Foundations CoA (Sealed HP Branded ROK disc too) on the back in the same spot as the N40L is wearing the SBS 2011 Essentials CoA.

THis is killing me, kind of... this N54L I received today was advertised as "Brand New" and yet it is clearly not either. WTF is wrong with Fleabay sellers all of a sudden? I've done 120+ transactions over the years and never once had a problem as a buyer until these last 2 deals from separate guys. Sigh.

Edited by Helzy

jmwills

File a complaint and get E-Bay involved.  They will usually side with the correct party and in this case, you.

Helzy

File a complaint and get E-Bay involved.  They will usually side with the correct party and in this case, you.

If it weren't so hard to find G7 microservers I would in an instant. I have sent pics and a message through to the dude who sold me the N40L advertised as an N54L but he hasn't responded and it's been almost a week. Ebay is aware and have made a note on the account that I am trying to straighten it out with the seller but if I don't hear from him by the weekend I will file a complaint. Problem is now I have to spend $65-$70 to shipoit back and actually pack it up properly unlike what the seller did shipping it with no packing material. In the end don't I end up with no server and the expense of shipping it back?

jmwills

The seller has only 72 hours to respond.  You can get some immediate satisfaction by posting a negative review on their site.