RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSUS on 2012 r2

Trig0r

Not going to get into the ins and outs of settings up WSUS in a home env, I am doing it to play with, nothing more.

However, just do it doesnt screw too much stuff up if it goes nipples north I am thinking of setting it up on a dedicated VM just for WSUS, anyone tried this before or are there requirements for it that mean it needs to be on the DC?

Just make sure you have enough free hard drive space available for the downloads. Expect to pull down around 200 gigs. As far as it being on a DC, it's not a best practice, but it shouldn't matter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Works just fine on a DC, but as jmwillis has said, it's not the best idea to do so.

No less than 200 gigs if you pull down updates for Server and Workstations.  You can clean it up after the initial sync but get ready for a boatload of updates.

No less than 200 gigs if you pull down updates for Server and Workstations.  You can clean it up after the initial sync but get ready for a boatload of updates.

And if you don't decline all of the drivers .... even larger. :)

Of course, there is an option in there to delete superseded patches.  I would try one client at a time until you get the hang of it then you will realize......why am I wasting my time with this?  LOL

Ha, personally I am happy to let the machines do it themselves, but in Bangladesh, in the middle of nowhere, bandwidth is an issue lol