RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

sleeping computer after backup

kermi

So, i was wondering if anyone has come up with a method for having your computer go back to sleep/hibernate, after being woken up by WHS?

I tried looking for events saved in the client pcs (win7) event log about backups, (which would allow me to set a scheduled task based on event triggers,) but i haven't found any.

The trouble with just setting sleep/hibernate trigger in the computers power plan is, that sometimes i want my computer to stay on, so having it automagicly hibernate after X hours is not really an option.

-kermi

Give the Light's Out addin a try. http://www.axonet.de/whs/LightsOutEn.pdf have a read, I'm not sure how well it intergrates with the client side sleep and wakes.

Judging from the manual, it can do shutdowns after the backup is completed.. but i'm not sure it can do them selectively (ie. only when the computer was woken to do the backups).

I just wish Vail will have better backup-integration. And that there'll be some sort of supported upgrade path from V1 to Vail.. :D

Will 'lights out' work across a Wireless link?

Always wondered if the commands would flow over wireless..

I would assume so, but would depend on the wireless card staying connected to the AP at all times even during sleep mode.

Europaxs

Hi.

This question kinda surprised me. All my client PC that are sleeping and get woken up by WHS for backup go right back to sleep after the backup completes. I've never had to configure anything special for this and just assumed everyone's worked that way!

Hi.

This question kinda surprised me. All my client PC that are sleeping and get woken up by WHS for backup go right back to sleep after the backup completes. I've never had to configure anything special for this and just assumed everyone's worked that way!

@Dan - Are you saying "immediately upon completion of the back-up?" the clients go back to sleep? Or, after the back up is complete and there is no more activity on the client that their power saving mode puts them back to sleep?