RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any Benefit Installing the OS on a SSD

Is there any benefits/issues installing the OS on a SSD? I do understand the read/write speed benefits. Is there any issues of using a SSD while running 24/7? My Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 will be running 24/7 and performing backups, storing files, and running VMs using Hyper V. 

The short story is I am having issues with the hard drive that the OS is stored on. I can pickup a 256GB SSD from Best Buy for $100. I am glad that I won the Synology DS414 slim at the last meetup. I am using it to backup my data from my Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2. 

Thanks for your feedback. 

I guess it's going to be extremely dependent on what sort of applications you are running, but on a server that is mainly used for storage I doubt you will see a lot of performance differences in day-to-day operations. I have been running my server 2012 r2 Essentials on 2 Crucial m500 mSATA SSDs in Raid 1 for more than a year now and it has been solid as a rock.

What you will find is that anything user interface related will become night and day snappier. Applications start up much faster, the system boots much faster, all of the server admin apps start up instantly rather than taking 45 seconds, etcetera. For me that was easily the greatest benefit of switching to solid state drives.

Edited by politby
  • Like 2
Drashna Jaelre

Overall system performance, actually.

It makes a huge difference in pretty much every aspect here.  Especially if you do a lot on the system.

To the point that I can't actually go back to running the system off a HDD (except on my HTPCs, where it doesn't make enough of a difference).

• Like 1
Drashna Jaelre

Indeed.

SSD for the system drive. "Spinners" for data storage.  This also makes backup of the system simple, as well.

Joe_Miner

SSD or Velociraptor is all I would use for OS drives

NAS or Enterprise drives for important data arrays -- w 3-2-1 backup strategy

Multiple SSDs or Velociraptor's in RAID0 for video editing scratch drives or Hyper-V VHD's, VM's, etc -- also good for Ripping etc  -- just don't put anything on multi-drive RAID0 that can't be lost or easily replaced (BTW: 2 SSD's or Velociraptor's in RAID0 are awesome OS drives -- just be sure no important data is on them)

Poppapete

If you want speed then Intel 750 PCIe SSD in raid is the go. The guys at PCper put 5 in raid which maxed out the cpu such that the 5th actually slowed the lot down.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Five-Intel-SSD-750s-Tested-Two-Million-IOPS-and-10-GBsec-Achievement-Unlocked

Only requirement is $$$$, X99 chipset and a 40 lane CPU.

• Like 1

I use a Samsung SSD for my OS drive to accelerate booting but can't see a benefit in my use case for SSD RAID config as mine is a primarily a media storage server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk