RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P222 cache module, 2gb

Trig0r

HP part number 631681-B21, as low as £115 here in the UK, anyone on here tried one, how much of a performance boost are we talking?

I am not sure if it is officially supported on the P222. I assume you would see some increase in performance, but I believe the extra cache gives the controller more room to work. Managing multiple arrays, RAID migration, diagnostics and rebuilds, would run faster. I think it also aids in some of the add on's like Smart Cache:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA5-4124ENW

• 2 months later...

HP part number 631681-B21, as low as £115 here in the UK, anyone on here tried one, how much of a performance boost are we talking?

I tried it with a 2GB FBWC from a SA card at work. It is recognised but it immediately fails with a self test error. AFAIK it is a good FBWC but I don't have another one to test. It may be because the P222 512MB card is 40 bit but the 1GB and 2GB cards are 72 bit. Looking at the PCB shows that some resistor packs near the card edge are missing on the 512MB which would indicate that they're wired differently. HP don't state it is a supported configuration but some people sell the P222/2GB so I'm not sure what is going on.

Nice one cheers, I'm looking at other things at the mo, the Gen 8 is sat doing its job, just loud due to having the P222 in there and no additional cooling atm, been given a server so using that and another old machine to setup a cluster and do some 2016 testing.