RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

additional Memory for Synology - What is good for?

GByOBRRLZG

Does upgrading the memory in the synology device improve disk performance (cache?) or is it used to run more synology apps on the device?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• itGeeks
      By itGeeks
      With the size of hard drives these days are more then a 2-bay NAS really needed? How do you all decide how many drive bays are needed??

Thanks in advance.
    • dxzdxz1
      By dxzdxz1
      This is my first post here but I've been lurking in this forum for quite sometime now, and from what I understand, the only reason that we couldn't achieve 32gb ram on the Microserver Gen8 was because there was no 16gb unbuffered ecc ram available before.

I was searching for a memory module meeting this criteria and I found this one. My question is, letting aside this ridiculous price, is there any compatibility issue that could make this ram won't work on the Microserver Gen8?

Most of the threads here about memory compatibility are quite old and I didn't want to revive an old thread just to ask this, so I'm creating this one.

Thanks in advance.
    • JROrtiz
      By JROrtiz
      I've been banging my head for a few days now trying to figure this out and I've run out of ideas. Hoping the very intelligent crew here can help me out.

I have a Drobo 5N and a Synology RS816 on my network, both of which have been working without issue for quite some time now. I've always connected to both via Windows Explorer by simply going to the network address i.e., \\N5 and \\SYN (sample names). 

I recently got a new desktop which is where the issues are coming up. When I try to go to \\N5, it results in a message saying it cannot find that location. However, \\SYN works just fine. What's strange is that I can see and manage the Drobo through the Drobo Dashboard software. What could be preventing Windows from seeing the Drobo on the network? 

I've already enabled the SMB 1.x protocol, ensured the workgroup names are the same, rebooted both the machine and the Drobo, made sure network sharing is enabled, and even did a fresh install to ensure that some program I installed didn't cause the issue. Every other machine I have can access the Drobo without issue. It's just this new desktop, and everything is running Windows 10.

Another strange phenomenon that I discovered is that if I go to "\\DROBO" (verbatim, not a sample name) it leads me to the Synology. Where is Windows getting the mapping from that it is directing that address to the Synology?

This is driving me nuts so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • adih2001
      By adih2001
      Hello! Recently I've been thinking to upgrade the CPU in my HP ProLiant ML10 v2. It currently has a Intel® Pentium® G3240 (I got the model of this server that comes with the Intel® Pentium® G3240) and according to the manual I should be able to upgrade the CPU to a Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v3. Is this true? Do I need to change / get anything else? Thanks.
    • korso
      By korso
      Dear HomeServerShow:

I just upgraded my CPU from a 1610T to a 1220L. All is going well, but I noticed fan speed has increase from like 10-14% to 14%-18%. I am wondering if someone else who upgraded is seeing the same just to rule out that I applied thermal paste wrong, screwed up heatsink install or something like that. I was expecting more or less (or even lower) fan speed as this CPU has a TDP of 20W, and the 1610T had 35W.

Thanks a lot!