RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client PC restore issues

jvk

Hi everyone, I just got a new roommate and we set his desktop up to be backed up by my WHS. The next week his computer became corrupted by a faulty driver (fortunately his desktop was backed up on WHS). We tried to restore his computer using the restore CD and we could not get it to work, we kept getting "could not find your WHS" messages. His desktop was plugged into the router with a network cable during our restore attempts (although it is usually connected via wi-fi). It appeared that WHS did not require additional hardware drives to do the restore, however it kept failing. We then tried grabbing the drivers for his desktop from the backup folder and putting them on a USB drive and that didn't work either. Eventually we gave up and rolled up our sleeves and fixed the desktop using safe mode, however it would have been much easier to just restore it using the WHS restore CD. Coincidently, I had this same issue with my laptop when I was just testing the restore process... I kept getting "cannot find your WHS" error messages.

Does anyone have any ideas?

jvk

Hi everyone, I just got a new roommate and we set his desktop up to be backed up by my WHS. The next week his computer became corrupted by a faulty driver (fortunately his desktop was backed up on WHS). We tried to restore his computer using the restore CD and we could not get it to work, we kept getting "could not find your WHS" messages. His desktop was plugged into the router with a network cable during our restore attempts (although it is usually connected via wi-fi). It appeared that WHS did not require additional hardware drives to do the restore, however it kept failing. We then tried grabbing the drivers for his desktop from the backup folder and putting them on a USB drive and that didn't work either. Eventually we gave up and rolled up our sleeves and fixed the desktop using safe mode, however it would have been much easier to just restore it using the WHS restore CD. Coincidently, I had this same issue with my laptop when I was just testing the restore process... I kept getting "cannot find your WHS" error messages.

Does anyone have any ideas?

jvk

I had the same problem when trying to restore my old HTPC, never did solve it, just did a reinstall instead, sorry :( not much help i know.

haha, you beat me to it with the link. Yep, it's usually a driver issue. You did good trying to pull the drivers off the backup young jedi. Then there is also an issue with those who installed Windows 7 and you have that 100 meg partition bug thing going.

One fix is to install the drive into a USB case and connect it to the server and run the WHS client off the server.

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/03/30/where-to-locate-hardware-drivers-with-windows-home-server/

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/02/03/using-a-windows-7-desktop-to-restore-a-windows-7-desktop-with-client-restore-wizard-again/

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/01/20/pc-hard-drive-restore-from-windows-home-server-to-a-usb-drive/

Thanks to UWHS and Timothy Daleo and Andrew Edney for the work on the blog posts. B)