RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HIS Radeon 4350HD Low Profile 25w Install Question on G8

jd9degree

Hello there. I have a passive cooled graphics card and a low profile bracket that I am thinking of installing in my new G8 Microserver.

All the videos I have seen re installing a graphic card in a G8 shows it being done with the motherboard out.

My question is why can't it be done in situ? There seems to be enough room to slip it in over the mobo power connector without going to the trouble of removing the motherboard.

Am I missing something ? Can this be achieved ?

Regards

John

• Like 1

As long as you have enough clearance and take you time it shouldn't be a problem. 

Hi, I decided to install a VTX Radeon HD 6450 (silent) due to it's very low idle power consumption.

For those who like myself are a bit nervous about extracting motherboards there is no need with this graphics card. I used the low profile bracket and ditched the VGA connector. I then disconnected the motherboard power and slid in straight in.

I am yet to crank it up and test. The HDMI cable is a tight fit with this card due to the locking mechanism on the back of the Gen8 being in the way. I have left the locking screw out to give me some play so I can squeeze the HDMI cable in. I could use the DVI connector but I wanted sound and as far as I know you can't get sound from DVI. I will include a photo of the tightness. I had to steal a thin HDMI cable from my sons machine as it was the thinnest I could find in the house.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 1