RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver Gen 8 newbie trouble in OZ

jd9degree

Hello from down under. My first post had to be a "HEEEELP" post of course.

Hi everyone. OK, my Gen8 arrived yesterday. Got stuck in tonight and managed to install SSD in ODD tray. 2 x 3TB drives in bays 1&2. Got SSD in raid 0. Installed Windows 8.1 no problem. Now when restart I cannot boot into the SSD. I just keep going in circles and going nowhere. I have been into the SSA and selected Primary Boot Logical Drive to Logical drive 2. (The SSD) with no luck.

It's now 1.19am in Australia and I am desperate to fix this before I hit the sack.

It's probably staring me in the face.

Thanks in advance.

Why is your SSD on the ODD SATA port 5 in a Single Drive RAID0 identified as Logical Drive 02?  Does this mean your 2 x 3TB drives were set up as a Logical Drive 01?

Yes that is correct. SSD logical drive 2. 2x3tb are logical drive 1.

Thanks for replying.

Should they be the other way around ?

You probably should get some sleep before going on, IMO.

But, yes, when I installed Win 8.1 Pro on the ODD SATA port http://homeservershow.com/windows-8-1-with-raid0-ssd-on-the-odd-sata-port-in-a-proliant-dl320e-gen8-v2.html

and Windows 7 pro on the ODD SATA port http://homeservershow.com/installing-windows-7-on-my-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver.html

In both cases I installed the ODD SATA port 5 in RAID0 SSD OS first and it was Logical Drive 01

But you really need to get some sleep before trying anything................ 

I agree. It looks like I will need to delete the arrays and then just work on the SSD as logical drive 1 and load the O/S again.

I will try in the morning and let you know how I go.

Nighty night.

Hello again and good morning. I managed to get some sleep and have moved forward today with my install.

I did start over with the SSD in the OOD tray as logical drive 1. The install went smoothly using the cp022624 from HP. I was then able to boot into Windows 8.1 with no issues. I needed to also download cp024845 and cp025786 to fix a missing driver I noticed in Device Manager.

I have now added the two 3tb into bays 1 and 2 and they are in raid 1 and working perfectly.

All good so far until now when I decided to fill the other bays 3&4 with some 5y/old WD Greens 1tb (previously used as o/s drives) which I have installed and also have them in raid 1. On boot up 3 logicals drives are seen but when I get into Windows Disk Management they are nowhere to be seen. I rescanned disks in Disk Manager but nothing.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Forget that. One of the drives was dead.

Got a real scare on boot when got the dreaded Logical Boot 1 failed Logical Boot 2 failed - all data lost. Press F2 to accept data loss and re initialise.

After I panicked and took a breath I removed the drives in bays 3 and 4 deleted logical drive 3 and rebooted and when prompted Press F2............... And it booted normally and no data loss. Phew. Backing up now :)

Off to bed.

Glad to hear it's working out -- :)

Welcome to the Forums too!  Let us know how you're using Gen8 (pictures are always nice too :) ) and when you get a chance introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/ 

Lots of useful links at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

Enjoy!  

• 5 months later...