RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TomP

ILO Remote Console, how to install and use ?

TomP

I see mention of Remote control via ILO, but I'm not sure what I need to do...

1. In ILO itself - 3 remote options are offered and seem to offer KVM control - unclear what exactly this is, maybe like the WHS2011 Dashboard?

2. On a remote Windows 7 Pro desktop - several consoles are offered including standalone and Enterprise

3. Several posts here show a remote screen without saying how to install and use this

Also I'm not clear how to access the ILO web interface. I can type in the IP address and ignore the message that it doesn't have a certificate, but surely there is a better way?

Apologies if all these are blindingly obvious to many experts, but help with these newbie questions would be appreciated.

schoondoggy

Your Gen 8 came with a small card that had the iLo password on it.

During boot you can set an IP address for iLo or just use DHCP. 

From another computer on your network, open a browser, enter the IP address assigned to iLo, enter the password and you are in.

Here is the users guide:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03334051-13.pdf

The KVM function only works in pre-boot unless you have the advanced key:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9511-ilo-advanced-license-keys-1850-2400/

TomP

Thanks schoondoggy,

I'd already found the ILO user guide, but like others have found, it isn't very helpful sad doesn't have a search capability.

It does say that you should be able to login with the DNS name but I just get 'this page cannot be displayed' so I have used the IP address, but that can change and I get Certificate errors.

I have bought the Advanced licence, but am still trying to find out what is the remote function and how to install and use, thus my 3 questions above.

Can you help?

schoondoggy

I opened the iLo 4 UG  in Chrome, you can search it with the Find function in the browser menu or save the file and open it with Acrobat reader and use the Search function. I have always just used the IP to login. I know what I am logging into so I am not concerned about the certificate errors. 

Think of iLo as a separate system running in your server. When you are logged into iLo you can access some of the information and control your server board. The KVM (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) function is for remote access. With the Advanced key installed KVM functions all the time. From a different computer on your network you can log into iLo and take control of your server. If you have VPN you could connect remotely, log into iLo and control your server. 

I don't follow questions 2-3. I will log into iLo when I get home and see if I can see what you are seeing.

The best way to learn iLo is by playing with it.

TomP

Thanks Joe (by the way, this is done as a Quote but like pasting shortcuts in IE11, it doesn't seem to work)

I'd found coffee coaching but it only covers ILO3 and points to a web page (ILO MANAGEMEN ENGINE) that doesn't now exist - I do laugh because it is entitled 'ILO University' so is it really that complicated as other forum users have observed?

Fortunately one of you links does point to an ILO Standalone Remote Console utility (LOCONS) so is this what I should use for KVM and remote ILO access, or one of the 3 options offered within ILO?

Several of your excellent helpful videos show you using the Remote console, so how did you install it?

Thanks for your continued patience and help...TomP

Joe_Miner

-snip-

Several of your excellent helpful videos show you using the Remote console, so how did you install it?

Thanks for your continued patience and help...TomP

Like I showed you above:

https://youtu.be/A-etUukd758

"From within my home network I have used iLO to access and manage my MicroServer from my Windows 7 desktop & VM’s, Windows 8.1 desktop & VM’s, Laptop, Surface 3, HP Stream 7, and my Toshiba Encore Mini."  I've also used it from the desktop's of WHS2011, S2012R2, & S2012.

It's not complicated.

Edited by Joe_Miner

TomP

Thanks Joe,

I'd missed the bit about the console options as it was right at the end. I'll give it a try.

TomP

Hi Joe,

I tried the NET IRC from within ILO4 and also installed / ran the Remote Standalone LOCONS and neither give me any video except for the ILO 4 192.168.0.xx on bottom left and a shutdown  (?) code 0168.

I did get a message on the server that the remote console driver was not successfully installed, but am at a loss where to find it.

I can operate the power buttons, see the virtual drives and get 3 kbd buttons but the HP manual says I should have KVM control and be able to see and select all the Intelligent Provisioning options during the boot sequence.

I have re-booted both the remote PC and server, but that made no difference, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by TomP

Joe_Miner

I never had a problem like that.  I'd suggest checking section 7 of the user guide.  Download the User Guide and open it with Adobe or similar reader with a strong search function.

You should also check pages 89 and 203 of the user guide which shows a similar error message when trying to initiate over an SSL connection -- review Configuring the IRC Trust setting on page 89.

Edited by Joe_Miner