RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 2012 on ODD SSD Drive (Please help!)

kroma

Hi All,

First off, I'm sorry to start another thread about this already well known and long standing problem but I really am just desperate to get my server up and running now and currently struggling with the sheer amount of information and suggestions already out there (including things that work for Linux and FreeNAS setups which are not relevant to me here).

I basically just want this server with a 240GB SSD in the ODD bay and 4 x 1TB drives in the front slots.  I want Windows Server 2012 R2 installed on the SSD and to use Storage Spaces to form a parity drive with the 4 x 1TB drives.  Why this should be so difficult to achieve I have no idea!!!

So far, I understand my options are either:

- Create a boot file on a permanently connected USB stick
- Swap the internal wiring so that the SSD is using the first connector from the drive bays (0) and that bay becomes effectively '4' (i.e. 4, 1, 2, 3)

Are these two the only known solutions to my problem?
Is it possible to get this to work by turning off AHCI and, if so, what is the actual downside to doing this - worse disk performance?

Is there any way to achieve what I am trying to do with the RAID option on the card?

If anyone can suggest a way that I can achieve my desired setup as described above (preferably with a minimum of fuss as I am not much of a technophile really!), I would be eternally grateful.  This server has sat here for several months now and I really want to start using it and get the data off my ancient and noisy ProLiant ML115 G5!

Thanks very much :)

I basically just want this server with a 240GB SSD in the ODD bay and 4 x 1TB drives in the front slots.  I want Windows Server 2012 R2 installed on the SSD and to use Storage Spaces to form a parity drive with the 4 x 1TB drives.  Why this should be so difficult to achieve I have no idea!!!

Because HP.

Yes, you have to cobble some way of booting off the SD card or USB or use RAID.  I'm not even convinced using RAID makes it boot off the ODD port reliably.

Its not the way HP designed the system to work.

I generally set them up with the B120i running, a SSD configured as a single drive RAID 0 on the ODD port to boot. Then I run the four drives in the bays as a RAID10 or two RAID 1 mirrors. If you want to use Storage Spaces, set all of the drives to single drive RAID0 and it should be fine.

As Schoondoggy says above.. When I was using Storage Spaces, I configured all 5 drives as single drive RAID 0 arrays. Then make sure that in the Raid manager you set the SSD to be the boot drive.

Just be aware that Storage Spaces is dreadful. None of the drives are readable on their own. There is no rebalancing done when you delete files or add more drives. It's just a complete mess as far as I could see. Write performance is abysmal too.

I ended up wiping my system (and regretted ever going down the Storage Spaces route!) and now run all my drives in AHCI mode (using a microsd card to boot from as per the instructions on this forum) and I use StableBit Drivepool and Scanner.

• Like 1

Hi All,

First off, I'm sorry to start another thread about this already well known and long standing problem but I really am just desperate to get my server up and running now and currently struggling with the sheer amount of information and suggestions already out there (including things that work for Linux and FreeNAS setups which are not relevant to me here).

So far, I understand my options are either:

- Create a boot file on a permanently connected USB stick

- Swap the internal wiring so that the SSD is using the first connector from the drive bays (0) and that bay becomes effectively '4' (i.e. 4, 1, 2, 3)

Are these two the only known solutions to my problem?

Is it possible to get this to work by turning off AHCI and, if so, what is the actual downside to doing this - worse disk performance?

Is there any way to achieve what I am trying to do with the RAID option on the card?

If anyone can suggest a way that I can achieve my desired setup as described above (preferably with a minimum of fuss as I am not much of a technophile really!), I would be eternally grateful.  This server has sat here for several months now and I really want to start using it and get the data off my ancient and noisy ProLiant ML115 G5!

Thanks very much :)

Its not the way HP designed the system to work.

I generally set them up with the B120i running, a SSD configured as a single drive RAID 0 on the ODD port to boot. Then I run the four drives in the bays as a RAID10 or two RAID 1 mirrors. If you want to use Storage Spaces, set all of the drives to single drive RAID0 and it should be fine.

As Schoondoggy says above.. When I was using Storage Spaces, I configured all 5 drives as single drive RAID 0 arrays. Then make sure that in the Raid manager you set the SSD to be the boot drive.

Just be aware that Storage Spaces is dreadful. None of the drives are readable on their own. There is no rebalancing done when you delete files or add more drives. It's just a complete mess as far as I could see. Write performance is abysmal too.

I ended up wiping my system (and regretted ever going down the Storage Spaces route!) and now run all my drives in AHCI mode (using a microsd card to boot from as per the instructions on this forum) and I use StableBit Drivepool and Scanner.

I'm working on a Blog post doing just what Schoondoggy & Psykix are referring too...

Windows Server 2012R2 installed on my Gen8 MicroServer ODD SATA http://homeservershow.com/windows-server-2012r2-installed-on-my-gen8-microserver-odd-sata.html 

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1