RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
frysie

Upgrading from N54l (raid 5) to a gen 8 ... what to do?

frysie

I stuck with raid 5 for the redundancy as i have 4x3TB reds.... and im currently running ESXI with a synology OS....

I will be putting all my data on some backup HDD's as i believe i may need to wipe the HDD's..

I have a SSD (for the os to replace the ODD).... so i was thinking about a windows OS... on the SSD

How would i go ?

I like Raid 5... as it gives me about 9TB to play with ... with some redundancy? It seems that Raid 5 does not work? or is that only for hardware or software?

jmwills

Why doesn't Raid 5 work?

frysie

Why doesn't Raid 5 work?

I've been reading that the raid controller on the mobo doesnt support raid 5 and you need a p212/p222 ? or have i read wrong?

there is a good deal in my neck of the woods (i think) for a p212... will this be okay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-StorageWorks-Ultrium-1760-SAS-LTO-4-Tape-Drive-EH919A-SAS-P212-card-Cable-/271911041548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4f293a0c

Edited by frysie

jmwills

Will that board fit on an N54L?

frysie

I just bought the gen 8 version... i am getting rid of my n54L

jmwills

The GEN 8 is essentially the same foot print.  I think most of the guys have been using the B120i.

LoneWolf

How did you do RAID 5 on the N54L?  Its default controller doesn't support it either.

Your best choice for the Gen8 is probably either the HP Smart Array P222 or P420.  If you had a previous RAID controller in the N54L such as the P212 or P410, the RAID array should be able to migrate to either of those controllers without data loss, though I'd still recommend having a full data backup.

frysie

How did you do RAID 5 on the N54L?  Its default controller doesn't support it either.

Your best choice for the Gen8 is probably either the HP Smart Array P222 or P420.  If you had a previous RAID controller in the N54L such as the P212 or P410, the RAID array should be able to migrate to either of those controllers without data loss, though I'd still recommend having a full data backup.

I chose raid 5 within synology (esxi)? I just assumed it was raid 5?

frysie

A bit of research shows teh P421 also works? and it has a greater FWBC... mmmm