RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L not working

superharley

Dear friends,

I used my Microserver during many months turning it on some times a week.  It was always correctly shut down after use.  No issues, no excessive heating, no shakes.  One day, I tried to use it again and it simply didn't turn on.  I can hear the power supply fan working but I get no video at all.  Hard drives are turned on (spinning) as well.

I tried many things like changing memory slots, cleaning memory connectors, disconnecting all HDs and leaving nothing but the motherboard alone to start the server and nothing succeeded.

My server is a G7 N40L Part Number 658553-201.  Any clue of what could be?  HP repair would cost me almost the half of the server's price not counting eventual parts.

I appreciate your attention and reply,

Harley

Did you setup remote access?  You could remote into the server to get an idea from the Event logs.

A few things to try:

Use a different monitor and/or VGA cable.

What does the LEDs tell you?

- Power button LED?

- "HP" logo LED?

Did you setup remote access?  You could remote into the server to get an idea from the Event logs.

Hello, jmwills,

I didn't understand what you mean by "remote into server".  How can I do it if it doesn't even turn on?  Which event logs?

Regards!

A few things to try:

Use a different monitor and/or VGA cable.

What does the LEDs tell you?

- Power button LED?

- "HP" logo LED?

Hello, oj88,

I'm an IT guy.  It's not about the display or cable.  Both are running perfectly on any other computer. :-(

Power Button LED stays lit and HP logo stays blue.

What else?

Cheers!

You just said the power button stays on which indicates the server is running not to mention you said the drives are spinning.  Can you access the server via Remote Desktop?

Did you try pinging the server?

• Like 1

Hello, jmwills,

I didn't understand what you mean by "remote into server".  How can I do it if it doesn't even turn on?  Which event logs?

Regards!

Hello, oj88,

I'm an IT guy.  It's not about the display or cable.  Both are running perfectly on any other computer. :-(

Power Button LED stays lit and HP logo stays blue.

What else?

Cheers!

Just covering all the bases, since you didn't mention anything about isolating the monitor.

What jmwills is saying is that you power it ON as you normally would but ignore the fact that there's no display. Give it a few moments to boot up (HDD LED should show some activity). Once booted up, try to use Remote Desktop from another PC to try to access the server, assuming that you know the server's IP address and that it is configured to allow Remote Desktop connections. If it works, it may mean that the VGA port is dead. A possible workaround, assuming that everything else on the motherboard is still working, is to install a PCIe video card.

This is just under the assumption that the server does boot up even with a blank display.

• Like 1

If you didn't set it up for Remote access you can try a low powered PCIe Video card.  If that doesn't work and since you say you've tried everything else then it would seem to point to a failed system board,

IMO.

additional details..............

the HDs are spinning because power supply is sending 12 V to them, but there's no access to the hard drives at all since HD access LED remains off.

There's no way to ping the server because it's not booting!  No video, no access to hard drives, no bip sound.  My server is a FreeNAS which boots from the USB stick and my stick has a LED that indicates access.  This LED remains off as well.

The power supply is sending the correct voltage to the HDs what makes them spin and the same power supply is sending 5 V to lit the HP logo.  However, there's nothing more than this.

Kind regards,

Harley

Edited by Joe_Miner
Misc mods to address tone

Then it could either be caused by a faulty power supply or a dead system board. Further diagnostics might tell you which one.

• Like 1