RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Danjor

Replacement PSU for MS Gen 8 (UK)

Trig0r

Holy crap, just asked my supplier to get me prices for those, £109 and £249....

Robbidoo

Danjor, from the link you posted (now dead unfortunately), was it this model? ss0300m1u

leto

Hi Guys. Since you upgraded your Microserver Gen 8 PSUs, I wonder if you can help. I purchased this PSU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-142&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=5334937&SID=17214X742339Xc597319d271bcdcb16a174d179346859

and although iLo works the server turns off immediately when the power button is pressed with a message in the logs saying System Power Fault Detected. I looked an the wires in the original 150W PSU 24 pin connector and Seasonic 24 pin connector and there are a couple of differences. I'm not sure but I assume that Seasonic has standard ATX 24 pin wiring. There is a small chance I may have purchased a faulty PSU but wonder if any of you have ever had any problems with replacement PSUs and how you solved it? Maybe there is some non-standard wiring on HP Microserver...?

Thanks 

leto

Basically the question is if anyone successfully upgraded the power supply in their Microserver Gen8 to some PSU with more Wattage say 250W / 300W and if yes which PSU was used? If you have pictures would be amazing. 

leto

I actually got a message from fury who uses FSP250-50GUB in Microserver Gen8. I looked at this PSU and it looks like the fan sits on the inside. So not sure if it's pulling air from outside into Gen8 or pushes it out. Would be not that great if it's pulling air in..

I checked the Dutch forum and yes, it looks like one person is using Seasonic SS-250SU in his Micro Gen8. I recently bought same PSU and it only powers iLO and gives PSU fault message on the server startup and server shuts down immediately. I also checked with my friend who said that often HPs and Compaq have non-standard 24pin wiring. Maybe the used Seasonic PSU I bought is the lemon but it would suck if I buy another one and face same problem. 

I looked at the picture in the Dutch forum and wire coloring is same as on my Seasonic. (pic attached)

24pin.PNG.e796640ccf98c6f21ea383131c589a3d.PNG

Would be nice if someone has the pinout diagram for Microserver Gen8 24pin connector? Wonder if it's a standard ATX pinout. Look at the Microserver standard power connector (pic attached below). Looks like a couple of things are different..

24pin_orig.JPG.458ebba429a674c0194eadd2a0107380.JPG

So would be great to know what PSUs definitely work..

leto

So no one knows. Sad because to really upgrade this baby one would most likely need a better PSU.

leto

Mates. I want to confirm that Seasonic SS-250SU works perfectly with Microserver Gen8. The first SS-250SU power supply I received was simply faulty and I had to order another same exact one to test and confirm that it works. 

So great news and I'm super happy since now I can run my tensor flow workflows on my moded Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050ti low profile card that I changed to take only one slot avoiding cutting an extra hole in the gen8 back plate. :)

I have 5  3.5 inch hard drives in it +  Gigabyte GTX 1050ti +  Xeon E3-1270 V2 + 16Gb RAM. It's a small beast.

IMG_0346.JPG.60a801147224268ae7f611962ba9f5cb.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG.00cba8ece93a492df30f4d60f42f595e.JPG

Cheers  

ari2asem
On 26-4-2018 at 5:42 AM, leto said:

Mates. I want to confirm that Seasonic SS-250SU works perfectly with Microserver Gen8. The first SS-250SU power supply I received was simply faulty and I had to order another same exact one to test and confirm that it works. 

So great news and I'm super happy since now I can run my tensor flow workflows on my moded Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050ti low profile card that I changed to take only one slot avoiding cutting an extra hole in the gen8 back plate. :)

I have 5  3.5 inch hard drives in it +  Gigabyte GTX 1050ti +  Xeon E3-1270 V2 + 16Gb RAM. It's a small beast.

Cheers  

so, as i can see u only have graphic card in your pci-e slot? you are using your gen8 unit without any hba/raid card? are your 5 hdd-drives connected to the onboard B120i?  just currious to know

Edited by ari2asem

cyberboblouth

As I am running the GTX1050Ti and Xeon 1240 v2 I have done the PSU upgrade too, as commented by others the Seasonic 250W is an easy fit, 10m

Main.jpg