RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slow file transfer over network

audin

When copying to or from my gen8 I never get speeds above 3MB/s and I can't figure out why. I have my server in a gigabit switch and I've tried with my laptop plugged straight in to the same switch but I don't get speeds any better than the below...

Any ideas anyone? My gen8 is running Server 2012 Essentials. Unsure if this is an OS problem or firmware or something else?

2yy2fq0.png

2qv46jd.png

Edited by audin

Does the laptop have gigabit Ethernet? Do you have the WiFi turned off on the laptop when you connect it to the switch?

How many disks are in the server? Have you tried a disk to disk transfer in the server to see what transfer rates look like there?

Yes gigabit ethernet on the laptop. WiFi off.

In the server is 1 SSD in bay 1 and then I have an external HDD connected via USB3.0.

Disk to disk transfer is around 100MB/s

Turn off jumbo frames. 

If that doesn't help, on both ends, check the adapter settings (device manager) and turn off any feature that has "checksum" or "offload" in the name. These use additional CPU cycles, and tend to be poorly implemented. 

Turn off jumbo frames. 

If that doesn't help, on both ends, check the adapter settings (device manager) and turn off any feature that has "checksum" or "offload" in the name. These use additional CPU cycles, and tend to be poorly implemented. 

Sorry how do I turn off jumbo frames? Never heard of it...

Yes it's a domain controller. Not that it's doing anything really, it's the only domain member. I just went through the motions when installing it.

I'll give disabling SMB signing a try, thanks!

Have you looked at the switch ?  I had the same situation with my gen8.  Swapped the old gigabit linksys switch with a cheaper tp-link.  the difference was night and day.  ~7MB/s -> ~90MB/s

• Like 1