RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Updating firmware via ILO

TomP

The Windows 7 installation topic recommends updating firmware before installing the OS. I have tried the following without success  - probably entirely due to my ignorance...

1. 'Firmware Update' in the 'Perform Maintenance' screen, which gives me an error that it cannot find hp.com

2. Remote login to ILO but the ILO manual does not say what URL to use

3. Successfully tired to ILO IP address and that got me into ILO, but there seems to be no files format that is accepted, other than a .bin file which is not the extension of all the firmware files I downloaded from HP support the web site

I may of course not have downloaded the right one, but I got the latest Service Pack 2015.06 as an image file, plus a lot more firmware utilities that are mostly .exe files, so can any help my newbie issues?

Thanks in advance...TomP

PS: The good news is that I successfully installed the SSD on the ODD port and set it up as RAID 0 array, thanks to all the good advice in the Gen 8 links, plus updated my ILO to 'Advanced'.  I just need hints to go further

Update: Other posts had talked about the need to remove power to update things, so I tried it and ... Voila !! ..it now does pick up 'Firmware Updates'

However it is in some case suggesting downgraded rev levels reported in other posts, so advice is still needed on what / how I can do that.

@TOmP

where did you get the bin file for the iLO?

what is this regarding the removal of the power plug?

cheers

Finally realised that the HP Firmware / Driver .exe files are actually compressed folders, so I unzipped the ILO 4 folder and there was the .bin file, so after updating to ILO 2.20, the other files look close to those in Joe / John's Installing w7 video, so I am going to give the W7 pro install a shot.

Finally realised that the HP Firmware / Driver .exe files are actually compressed folders, so I unzipped the ILO 4 folder and there was the .bin file, so after updating to ILO 2.20, the other files look close to those in Joe / John's Installing w7 video, so I am going to give the W7 pro install a shot.

If you download the ILO 4 2.2 firmware update, then unzip that exe, you will see a .bin image file. In ILO firmware update, you simply point to that .bin and it updates seamlessly.

Power plug - can't remember the particular posts, but I've seen several that mention the need to unplug / replug the power to make the updates work.