RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
580guy

Anyone else running the Lenovo Thinkserver TS440?

580guy

Just curious if anyone else has some experience with this server.  It seems most of the posts are for the TS140.  I will be setting one up this week as a media server, replacing an HP EX-495 running 12 - 2TB drives in eSATA & USB enclosures.  I have struggled with eSATA drives dropping offine for years so I wish to rid myself of external drive enclosures and run all my drives internally if I can, but I will still have to run a couple off of USB 3.0 which I hope is solid, as I have never used it before.  As my drives die off, I will be replacing them with 4TB drives, and eventually be able to run all of them internally to maintain my level of storage.

I will be running WHS 2011 for the time being, it's been a solid system so far along with Stablebit Drivepool and FlexRAID.

I will not be doing hardware RAID, just JBOD.  I've been able to download and read the manuals and that seems to be the defaults for the Thinkserver 500 RAID controller.

I don't expect too much trouble.  Hopefully just insert my drives, config the startup, config some drivers etc and go.

Will also have to transfer some licenses and re-activate WHS 2011 I'm sure.

This model supports 8 - Hot Swap drives, and should do 10 with the two external 5.25 drive bays. (I'll be removing the optical drive).

Would appreciate any tips or info when setting this up or any other experiences any have had with the TS440.

• Like 1

HellDiverUK

Be aware you have to buy the second hot swap backplane, and all the sleds.  It makes a cheap server pretty expensive.

580guy

Thanks for the reply. I neglected to say that my server does have the second backplane already. I did have to buy the extra drive caddies though. I thought it was a pretty good deal for $549 shipped. I hope to be able to put in 10 hard drives using the top two five and a quarter inch drive bays.

Do you happen to operate one of these units?

580guy

Well, TS440 server is up and running great.  Have 10 - 2TB hard drives in it right now, and soon to be 11 (waiting for a SATA power cable).  Also running 3 - 2TB drives in a Media Sonic HF2-SU3S2 USB 3.0 enclosure.  Compared to my  HP Media Smart EX495 this thing is awesome. Probably a little overkill for what I am doing as a media server, but it is so fast and stable. Compared to the EX495, this thing doesn't even break a sweat!  I really love it.  The case is a little big, and mostly empty space in it.  But it makes it extremely easy to work on it as there's plenty of room inside for easy access to all components.  I got the Intel AMT working and it's great to be able to have control of the server remotely, even if it's powered off.  Works great!

I easily did a bare metal restore of my WHS2011 from my EX495 to my system drive, installed new chipset and other drivers, and away it went.  Very smooth.

The only little glitch I have is my external USB 3.0 box.  It configures as 480 mbit USB 2.0 most of the time on boot up.  I have tried many different Intel drivers but always the same.  The only to make sure it will configure as superspeed is to boot the machine first, and turn on the external USB box afterwards.  This always works. Researching this problem on the web I have found that most users with this trouble were able to tweek their USB 3.0 settings in their BIOS on some machines.  Howerver the TS440 only has options to turn ports on or off and no further settings.  I did upgrade the BIOS to the latest but it did not solve this problem.  I think I can live with that.  Eventually, when I upgrade to larger capacity drives, I shouldn't need any external drives at all.

I heartily recommend this amazing server!  It's probably not for a closet, or even a living room as it's large, but it is definitely enterprise grade hardware.

• Like 1

580guy

Update 6/30/2015

11 hard drives installed now, running quiet, cool & fast.  Last drive went behind the Power Switch / USB 3.0 Front ports panel.  A little trickier for this drive, as I had to deal with the USB & switch cables, but not difficult. So far temps for that drive are below 35C. I was concerned the top drive behind the switch panel would not have enough airflow, but I may add a small fan for that drive down the road.

The other 2 below it in the 5.25 bays are running behind a cover with a dust screen and are running below 30C. 

Also an update on the USB 3.0 Media Sonic HF2-SU3S2 not configuring to SuperSpeed on boot up:  If I do a cold boot, it seems to configure fine to Superspeed.  It's only on the warm boots that it configures to Hi-speed 480mbits/s USB 2.0.   That's better!

I was concerned about having to reboot the server remotely if necessary.  I was so used to the HP EX495 and that was often necessary.

So, now I can remotely shutdown thru RDP with the OS, then use AMT to boot it up and all should be fine.

I learned the hard way that AMT DOES NOT do a graceful shutdown or reboot, as it strictly uses hardware and not the OS!

I hope I am posting this in the right place, as there is no subforum for the TS440, only the TS140.

It seems I am alone here! 

Hopefully my experiences will benefit someone else in the future with this server.  I am not sure how similar the TS140 and TS440 are, but possibly this applies to the TS140 too.

Eventually, I will be able to change my signature below to reflect by present system.

Edited by 580guy
  • Like 1

jiaxinxi7

great post. Thanks for the info. I have a TS440 which is not setup yet. It is the YUX version with XEON 1245V3 CPU, Bought 32GB CPU, Bought 8 caddies. Bought 1 5.25 to 4 2.5 enclouser. Fill in with 4 x 3Tb hard drive, 1 Intel 730 250 SSD and it is sitting there collecting dust. I really need to find the time to set it up. It is a great piece of hardware

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update 6/30/2015

11 hard drives installed now, running quiet, cool & fast. Last drive went behind the Power Switch / USB 3.0 Front ports panel. A little trickier for this drive, as I had to deal with the USB & switch cables, but not difficult. So far temps for that drive are below 35C. I was concerned the top drive behind the switch panel would not have enough airflow, but I may add a small fan for that drive down the road.

The other 2 below it in the 5.25 bays are running behind a cover with a dust screen and are running below 30C.

Also an update on the USB 3.0 Media Sonic HF2-SU3S2 not configuring to SuperSpeed on boot up: If I do a cold boot, it seems to configure fine to Superspeed. It's only on the warm boots that it configures to Hi-speed 480mbits/s USB 2.0. That's better!

I was concerned about having to reboot the server remotely if necessary. I was so used to the HP EX495 and that was often necessary.

So, now I can remotely shutdown thru RDP with the OS, then use AMT to boot it up and all should be fine.

I learned the hard way that AMT DOES NOT do a graceful shutdown or reboot, as it strictly uses hardware and not the OS!

I hope I am posting this in the right place, as there is no subforum for the TS440, only the TS140.

It seems I am alone here!

Hopefully my experiences will benefit someone else in the future with this server. I am not sure how similar the TS140 and TS440 are, but possibly this applies to the TS140 too.

Eventually, I will be able to change my signature below to reflect by present system.

Can you tell me how much electricity does this server consume regularly?

kpeluso

580Guy - I too am running the TS440 and loving it.  I am using it as a home server with Windows 8.1, primarily for media storage, iTunes, and PLEX streaming.  I have been racking my brain over what types of drives would be best.  Do we need to be running NAS drives or will standard desktop drives work fine over time?  I currently have an SSD mounted in a PCI slot as my boot drive and then six other drives set up as mirrored sets of two.  I have 2TB drives for Video, 320GB drives as my data drives, and 1TB drives partitioned for Photos and music.  I really need to expand the size of the video storage as I want to rip all of my DVDs onto the server.  I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to set this up.

jiaxinxi7

I am using Toshiba 3TB drive in a HP N54L XPNology build. It has been running 24x7 for more than a year without any issue. The price of Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM hard drive is not that high comparing with the so called NAS drive. Last time newegg has $150 for 2 x 3TB.

kpeluso

That's good to hear.  I have my eye on the Toshiba 5TB drive for $145 but was concerned about heat issues.

580guy

great post. Thanks for the info. I have a TS440 which is not setup yet. It is the YUX version with XEON 1245V3 CPU, Bought 32GB CPU, Bought 8 caddies. Bought 1 5.25 to 4 2.5 enclouser. Fill in with 4 x 3Tb hard drive, 1 Intel 730 250 SSD and it is sitting there collecting dust. I really need to find the time to set it up. It is a great piece of hardware

Can you tell me how much electricity does this server consume regularly?

According to my UPS, it draws around 100 watts as configured.  Not too bad for all that storage.