RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Skype on Vail

Alvin Ramard

I'm new to Skype and I was wondering if anyone has tried running Skype on Vail with a USB phone adpater. Since the server is sitting idle most of the time, it sounds like it would be the idea machine for this purpose.

I haven't purchased such an adapter yet. If none of you have tried that yet then I may have to be the guinea pig for this one.

I'm new to Skype and I was wondering if anyone has tried running Skype on Vail with a USB phone adpater. Since the server is sitting idle most of the time, it sounds like it would be the idea machine for this purpose.

I haven't purchased such an adapter yet. If none of you have tried that yet then I may have to be the guinea pig for this one.

Someone had the MajicJack adapter working on their server. See post from We Got Serverd - MajicJack Works. Might help you figure out how to make it work.

My broadband isn't good enough to support VOIP so I haven't looked into anything like this.

Someone had the MajicJack adapter working on their server. See post from We Got Serverd - MajicJack Works. Might help you figure out how to make it work.

My broadband isn't good enough to support VOIP so I haven't looked into anything like this.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, I just ordered a USB adapter for Skype so that I can use Skype with a regular house phone. Hopefully, I'll be able to give it a good test next week. I hope it will play nicely with Vail, otherwise I'll have to attach it to my Win 7 machine instead.

I'll post the results on the forum.

I've been using Skype (with a USB adapter hooked up to cordless phones) exclusively for the past few years. It ran fine on XP and Win7 x64, although I've never tried it on WHS as I don't have one...