RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't boot into RAID or IP. Won't boot from SD / HDD.

mike86

This is one of three others microservers I've purchased in order to create processing stations for my software.

Unfortunately it turned out that I had to take out one of hard drives and replace it with other drive and here it is where problems start.

I've tried to install ESXI on microSD card, however after reboot it won't boot up.

I've tried to install ESXI on hard drive, however after reboot it won't boot up

I've tried to enter to RAID console, unfortunately it won't boot it, HP will just proceed and will show info about missing operating system.

I've tried to enter IP and same issue.

Just now HP start making long series of beeps after I've tried to hit F10.

Is it faulty unit ???

I have 3 of those but 2 other are still working (they are downloading list of 250,000 jobs (multiply by 15 instances of worker software) which can't be resumed as I had no time to add necessary functionality to the worker software (I've quickly developed it in order to do some job in-house)) and I can't play around to check if this is common issue.

In general I already had issues with IP (downloaded very old 2013 bios and now I can't update it to the new bios (even DVD provided here on forum, is just updating ILO and the rest but not bios) and now this :/

What are you referring to when you say IP? Intelligent provisioning?

Please be aware Generation 8 servers only support  Intelligent provisioning version 1.x

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03634607

Please also be aware that there is a bug which means you cant boot from SD card if you have just been in the RBSU (BIOS) or Intelligent provisioning (F10).

You have to take the power lead out first and then put it back in. I have had some luck with mine by selecting Press and Hold via the iLO interface.

Regards

What are you referring to when you say IP? Intelligent provisioning?

Please be aware Generation 8 servers only support  Intelligent provisioning version 1.x

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03634607

Please also be aware that there is a bug which means you cant boot from SD card if you have just been in the RBSU (BIOS) or Intelligent provisioning (F10).

You have to take the power lead out first and then put it back in. I have had some luck with mine by selecting Press and Hold via the iLO interface.

Regards

I don't worry about SD, I worry that this unit won't boot from second HDD while it was set as master boot in RAID console.

After I have added another drive everything stopped working.

Now I can't even boot to IP from ILO (I have purchased advanced for all machines) (booting from remote console stopped working long time ago, only way to boot to IP was to setup IP as next boot selection from ILO).

To be honest I am very disappointed with reliability (non working IP, issues with SD, issues with updating firmware, etc.).

Edited by mike86

If the SPP is not working to update BIOS, I would do them manually. Getting everything to the latest firmware would be the first thing I would do. 

It sounds like you have a bad server. If this is under warranty, I would open a ticket with HP.