RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Spaces Questions

Shirodx

Hi everyone!

I just moved my home data from my old WHS2011 to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (Yeah!) and I just have a question regarding creating a mirrored storage spaces drive pool. 

I have two 3GB drives, one has my data on it the other is blank. 

I'm not sure that in creating the storage spaces drive pool will that delete all the data on the drive that has my data?

I've read that the drive joining the pool will loose it's data. What about creating the pool with a drive that already has data on it?

Has anyone tried creating a storage spaces pool (Mirrored) with a drive that already had data on it?

Storage Spaces is a block level storage solution.

That means that any disk added to a storage spaces "pool" will be wiped of any data on it. Even if you're attempting to mirror it (IIRC)

• Like 1

Has anyone tried creating a storage spaces pool (Mirrored) with a drive that already had data on it?

Yes, you get a warning telling you that the drive will be wiped of any existing data, and that is exactly what happens.
  • Like 1

I believe it does. 

The produce description says you can create a pool and still keep the data on the drive. 

Thinking about purchasing it. 

Can anyone confirm this?

Does StableBit's drive pool have a way around this problem?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Absolutely does. 

Specifically, any existing data on the drive isn't touched. You can copy it in "normally", or you can use the "cheating" method and "seed" the pool (move the files into the Pool's folder structure):

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

If you feel that process is intimidating, then contact "us" at https://stablebit.com/Contactand we can see about setting up a remote support session to help you with the process.

I believe it does. 

The produce description says you can create a pool and still keep the data on the drive. 

Thinking about purchasing it. 

Can anyone confirm this?

Yup, definitely. See above.

And if you have any questions about StableBit DrivePool, either use the above contact link, or flag me, and I'll answer any questions about the products.

We don't touch existing files, so that we don't interfere with any existing setup. But moving the files into the pool is relatively easy. 

Also, don't hesitate to try the product out. All of our products include a fully featured, 30 day trial. So you can try them out before deciding to buy them. 

(Yes, I do work for Covecube, the company that makes StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner).

Thank you for the info. 

Question. 

Once the pool is created in DrivePool could not immediate balancing just be enabled to copy over the data to the blank drive?

Ok, you have two drives, one with data the other blank.

You create the drivepool with the two drives together. 

Can you then set immediate balancing in the settings so that it will auto copy the data from the drive that has data to the blank one?

I've never used the product so Im not sure that that's how it would work.

If you mean for duplication (mirroring), then yes.  Once the data is in the pool, you can enable the folder duplication (or pool file duplication, to duplicate everything in the pool).  This will automatically copy the contents, so there is one copy on each drive.