Skippy

Windows VPN and VPN Services

2 posts in this topic

I've had my WHS 2011 going for a while, but only just set up a VPN. Now I know what a VPN does, but I'm wondering why set one up in WHS? What are the pros and cons of using WHS vs a VPN through CyberGhost?

I not a pirater or a hacker, but security and anonymity have been playing on my mind in this post Snowdon world. Does WHS mask my webtraffic from my ISP? Can this only be done thru a 3rd party VPN client? is the new IP assigned through my WHS VPN still a way to track me through my ISP?

Excuse the naivety of the questioning, but I am trying wrap my head around how much trust I should have in my windows VPN. I would have it anyway, as I want to allow access to my server when I am travelling. But the intensiveness of 3rd parties spying while online has got me a bit PO'd.

Do you mean connect to WHS' VPN or connect WHS to a VPN service?

If you mean connecting to WHS' VPN, then here:

Are you sure that CyberGhost or whatever service is NOT logging your traffic? Are you sure they're not?

Using your own VPN server on WHS allows you to connect to your server, and route your traffic through your ISP. This is great for cellphones or mobile devices.  And it doesn't cost anything more than have a server that is on, and an internet connection.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

At my home office i have a HP Microserver N40L and i use “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials”.

On the past i had some initial configuration and instability problems with Anywhere Access + VPN, but somehow i finally have them working properly and stable for the last months. 

But last week i needed to format the server and install a brand new and clean “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials”.

I have made the installation, then made all the updates, then i have added some roles and features and then i went to setup Anywhere Access + VPN and it’s giving me 2 errors (one saying that i have port 80 and 443 blocked and other saying i have more than one router on my network).

Both errors do not exist, because besides manual confirmation that ports are open, no network configuration was changed since last week. And if all was working in the past, now all should also work.

I have already try to turn all off and then try again to run the Anywhere Access + VPN repair wizard and the errors are still the same.

I have already pass too many hours trying to identify what is wrong… and i can’t wait to much longer.

So i have 2 requests to make to anyone reading this:

1- If anyone has any idea of what is the problema, and wants to share the advice, great! Please do.

2- I’m willing to hire and pay to an expert to remote login my server and solve the problem. I can provide remote access and be your remote eyes so you can see all the network setup. If you can do this, please reply to this thread with your email or send me a PM.

---------

My network setup is as follows:

ISP Router (in bridge mode) > Router TP-Link ER-5120 > Smart Switch TP-Link TL-SG108E

Then Smart Switch then connects:

- Port 1 to Router
      - Port 2 to Access Point TP Link TL-WA901ND (with QVLAN enable for private and public wifi networks)
      - Port 4 to Unmanaged Switch TP-Link TL-SG1016

Then the Unmanaged Switch connects to my server and my home office computers.

--------

Thanks

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

After I have setup my office network and installed the “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials” Connector on all the Windows 10 desktop computers, all the desktops connect auto-connect to the server using the desktop Connector. The internal LAN is setup as a private domain network.

But with the Connector installation, I have noticed that it has also been created a VPN on all my desktop computer, inside my office on my internal LAN network that is disabled by default.

In a simple way and to resume, all my desktop computers connect properly to the server using just the desktop connector, with the VPN disabled. 

I just use / enable the VPN on the laptop computers, always when I’m outside the office.

So my question is if I should also always enable the VPN by default on all my desktop computers that are located inside my office on my internal LAN network?

Can anyone advise me on this? Are there any kind of advantages vs disadvantages on having the VPN on vs off inside the internal LAN?

Thanks 

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

I’m setting up my small office network and on my server I will use the “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials” and I will want to enable and use the “Anywhere Access” and “VPN” build in features to have remote access to my server from outside.

Regarding this, my router uses as factory default the port 80 to access the admin interface. 

But I think I should change this in order for my router not to be visible from outside world, and also not to conflict with any of the Windows Server services, correct? It’s a best practice to do this correct?

If yes, I really don’t know which port I should use. I’m think on using port 8080 so the router access from inside my network will become: http://192.168.0.1:8080.

So can anyone please share your advice on which port I should use for my router admin interface access?

It must be a port that can only have access from my internal network and it must be a port not used by common services in order not to create conflicts. 

Thanks