RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone have issues with installing PCI Cards

mr_yellow

Hi,

I have an HP ML310e v2 and I have an old Startech eSata PCI card (x2) and I can't seem to get it to recognize in the server.  I also have a SIIG Sata controller that does get recognized.  

Anyone have any idea why the startech card doesn't work? 

Thanks,

Yeah, I've tried different slots and m the b120i is in ahci mode.

I found one post from someone at avforums that suggested the G8's don't work well with silicon image chipsets which is what this startech card uses.

Anyone here run a silicon image driven SATA card?

any opinions on asmedia chipsets?  There's a sale on mediasonic's own eSata card that runs an asmedia 1061 chipset...    it's only $20 vs. the next cheapest marvel controlled card at ~$40-$50

Thanks

I believe the asmedia cards are ok

but they are Pcie Gen2 1x

in comparison to the Marvell 9230 being Pcie Gen2 2x

so if you are planning on putting any kind of load on them you will get twice the throughput

from the marvell

I've found Asmedia cards (I use DeLock on my N40L) without problems in several PCs. The drivers seem to be frequently updated for later Windows versions, whereas Startech cards (I thought they were all Marvell) seem to have no updates.

Update: I just installed Win 7 pro x64 and then the DeLock 89324 Asmedia 1061 drivers installed fine. I use this card also on the N40L to give me one Esata and one internal SATA to connect up my 6th HDD

Of note is that the drivers also specifically support server 2003 & 2008

Edited by TomP

You dont go to startech for drivers

they are just some tinpot outfit who buy in

cards and devices from chinese factorys

most of the stuff they sell can be got direct for 1/3 the price on ebay or amazon

The latest Marvell Drivers are September 2014 so hardly ancient

I've found Asmedia cards (I use DeLock on my N40L) without problems in several PCs. The drivers seem to be frequently updated for later Windows versions, whereas Startech cards (I thought they were all Marvell) seem to have no updates.