RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

SNB -- How Many SSIDs is Too Many?

Poppapete

Jason,

I have almost identical setup with sophos and Rt-N66U in AP mode.  I have named the 2 bands ASUS2.4 and ASUS5.0 (pw are the same).  The article is saying we should give them the same name and the whole wifi will be more efficient. The only downside is that I won't know which band I am connecting to without delving deeper into the properties of the connection but does that really matter?

Jason

Good question. Am not sure. Also I preordered the new Eero mesh APs with the intent of disabling DHCP and having true mesh coverage in the house vs having to do this. If that doesn't prove viable I will return those units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneWolf

Since my household is a household of two, I don't play with it much.  I have two SSIDs, one for the 2.4GHz radio and one for the 5GHz radio.

I was using my ASUS RT-AC87 as router and wireless, but my Watchguard XTM-25 firewall has taken the router job, leaving the ASUS as access point only.  When I convert over to clustered access points at some point, I'll have two SSIDs, one for internal, and one for guest that will barely get used, but will have wireless isolation from the main LAN.  Band steering at that point will determine what devices go 2.4 and what goes 5.

The only other reason I can see to have a separate SSID is if you have VoIP phones you use over wireless, and would like to VLAN this traffic off for QoS reasons.  You could associate the VoIP phone SSID with a specific VLAN that you use for your phone gear.

Edited by LoneWolf