RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

SNB -- How Many SSIDs is Too Many?

oj88

That's a good article, and in human-readable form, too. Worth keeping bookmarked.

I'm also glad that it validated what I've been doing all along... Which is to use a single SSID and encryption type/key per band for all three access points in my network. It makes handoffs smoother and transparent to the user. Most high-bandwidth and stationary devices like media streamers are on the 5GHz SSID while the rest are on the 2.4GHz SSID.

In the future, I intend to have the kids connect to a different SSID on 2.4GHz (different VLAN) so I can have more granular control on what or where they can connect to, internet wise.

• Like 1

Trig0r

I've always had a single SSID at home and just had different AP's on different channels (1,6,11) where they overlap..

I have also thought about having different SSID's for guests/kids though and throttle, or in some other way control content etc...

Its a case of doing it when people aren't using the WiFi though as I get moaned at when things get changed, apparently "Faffing" with IT kit in the house isnt allowed...

oj88

Its a case of doing it when people aren't using the WiFi though as I get moaned at when things get changed, apparently "Faffing" with IT kit in the house isnt allowed...

Like you read my mind. It seems that family members can be as finicky as your most obnoxious work customers. :D

At least I get paid at work.

Trig0r

Yeah I get less earache at work and have a budget, at home, completely different story lol...

jmwills

Most of the newer routers (ASUS RT66NU) have multiple networks built into them by default, one private and two guest.  That's what I let our guests use.  Also, Comcast deploys the XFinity OpenWifi network when you use their equipment which I would never do.

I also use decommissioned routers as AP's and extend the network from upstairs to out in the garage.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Good point jmwills!  The D-Link DIR-890L/R comes pre-configured with 3 bands all on one SSID (you can change that if you want) plus you can add a Guest account.  I'm getting very solid all over the house and most of my yard.

Jason

I never got a straight answer on whether having same SSID and encryption type/key with multiple APs throughout the house was effective. This article seems to imply that it does and will enable a more seamless handoff from one AP to another as devices travel throughout the house. Cool. I'm going to set mine all to be the same today for all bands.

2 ASUS routers

Each with a 2.4 and 5.0 ghz band

Each band supporting a SSID x 4

Will set all 4 bands across 2 routers to same SSID and WPA2/AES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmwills

Here's  your answer.  How are you going to have to routers on the same public facing IP (WAN)?  What you want to do is turn one of those into an AP by giving it a Static IP address within the pool of addresses handed out by the other router, turn off DHCP on the second router and put it on a different channel with the same SSID.

This works VERY effectively.

Jason

Sorry. I have one router (Sophos) and multiple ASUS routers that I've already disabled DHCP on and dummed them down to APs only. Only today each one of these APs has a different SSID on each band. It's a mess. I guess I just need to make every SSID the same as well as set them to WPA2/AES with same passwords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk