RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L keeps powering down

chappys4life

I am experiencing issues with my N54L it keeps randomly turning off with just the power button flashing yellow. 

Currently the system is:

N54L

8GB ram

128 gb SSD on the 1 open sata port for OS (windows 8.1)

M5015 raid card

3x 2tb WD Red (port 1 on M5015)

2x 128GB SSD (on-borrd sas)

Syba Dual port nic

I have been running the N54L for about a month now with no issues. The problem seemed to start about a week ago after adding the 2 additional ssd's and nic. I am wondering if I am overloading the power supply. 

I have checked the power settings and they are set to high performance. Also the windows log do not show anything to specific. I updated the nic drivers last night thinking that could have been the issue but it just did it again. I think I am going to pull the 2x ssd's and see if that hekps but thought I would see if anyone has any ideas to check.

Edited by chappys4life

I would doubt that an SSD would kill the powersupply as maany on here are running four or five spinning drives.  I'd look at memory or heat related issues.

I would doubt that an SSD would kill the powersupply as maany on here are running four or five spinning drives.  I'd look at memory or heat related issues.

I dont think it is the memory as its been fine for a month. The only change is the nic and 2x sdd's. Maybe heat, I will install a temp app later tonight. 

I cant remember if there is one, but I would check the BIOS to see if there is an event log there.

I will look at that when I get home 

Ran a memtest and it came back clean. Powered down both SSD's and disabled one of the ports on the dual nic. Also adjusted the order so the onboard has priority. 

Watching to see if it happens again. 

After further troubleshooting it is the power supply. When I left the ssd's unplugged it ran all weekend. I tried to add a 4th drive into the system and withing 30 minutes it powered down twice. 

Looks like a need a new power supply. What are my options?

There is a thread here somewhere about replacement power supplies for the G series systems