RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

ESXi notes

paolo.macor

Oh yes, you are right. I forgot to mention i'm running on vsa -88OEM

rotor

Have you tried the same benchmarks in RAID mode with the SSDs in the same slots? AHCI mode under ESXi mode --as far as I've experienced myself, and read on this forum-- is terrible. Only the first 2 slots are SATA 3. AHCI mode gives you a tiny queue length, which has pretty grim consequences for real life performance (even if artificial benchmarking shows ok performance).

paolo.macor

@rotor

No I haven't, but I'm just curious so I will try. But let me say I'm very satified by these performances. In raid mode with single MAGNETIC HDDs in RAID 0 on same VM i got results 10 times slower. I think 550MB per second are quite the limit of the drives, and near to SATA3 saturation.

My only problem is I cannot use any of the magnetic disks, because this leads esxi in a very unstable status.

The menining of my first post is: if you -as me - are unsatisfied by b120i under esxi even if you downgraded vsa driver, you can use SSD HDD with controller in AHCI and you'll get top performance!

rotor

My point is that you compared magnetic disks under RAID mode with SSD under AHCI mode -- that's not exactly a fair comparison! AHCI mode with ESXi is unstable and I wouldn't recommend it under any circumstances.

paolo.macor

hi rotor, and thankyou for your reply.

I agree regarding the fair comparision. But I disagree about the unstability, and this was the reason of my post:

- if I use magnetic HDDs in AHCI in my Gen8, ESXi gets VERY unstable.

- if I use SSDs in AHCI gets VERY FAST AND VERY STABLE (this is nitty gritty!). it's 20 days right now I'm running this configuration without any problem.

- the only way having magnetic disks running is setting B120i in RAID mode but performances are ridiculous.

rotor

I have both SSD and magnetic under RAID mode on my Gen8. On the magnetic disks I am more or less maxing out the speed of the drive (130+ MBps), so I have no complaints. Where did you get the idea that performance with magnetic disks under RAID mode is ridiculous?

- Latest firmware

- ESXi 6

- HP storage driver build 88, latest everything else

- RAID mode

Yields excellent performance, 100% stability, 6% fan speed.

AHCI is slower (per benchmarks, and with the dramatically smaller queue length will be slower in real world activity), is unstable, and gives a higher fan speed.

I encourage you to re-do your tests under RAID mode.

paolo.macor

ESXi 6.0.0, 3029758

ROM J06 07/16/2015

VSA scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64

RAID 0 volume n single HDD WD RED 3TB

RAID0_2.pngfans.png

as you can see I already made the test in RAID0 wth magnetic HDD a month ago;

as you can see it reports ridiculous performances of the subsystem. 

rotor

ESXi 6.0.0 3073146

scsi-hpvsa build 88

I suspect the drops above 256kB transfer size are directly related to the logical drive stripe size (256kB in my case). I am very happy with these results. Note, these are configured as RDMs in a Windows 2012 R2 VM.

WD Red 3TB

2015-12-15_125147.png

WD Red 6TB

2015-12-15_125454.png

Fan speed

2015-12-15_125249.png

Example logical drive configuration

2015-12-15_130716.png

paolo.macor

thank you rotor for posting your config and performance tests; they will be useful for reference.

Thanks also for letting me know that I should update my host ;)

Me too I prefer using  RDMs so I have native filesystem on single disks.

I will try SSDs RAID0 config to avoid shorter command queue and I'll post results.

• Like 1

CyberMacGyver

Hi all!

I'm so [psyched! Just got my new Gen8 Microserver!

I plan to deploy ESXi 6U1 on it, and am wondering if anyone has tried it, and if it still suffers from the storage performance issues with the controller driver? Should I still downgrade the RAID driver with 6Up1?

Also, do you guys use the VMware version from HP or the vanilla one?

Thanks!