RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

ESXi notes

flipper

Free licence for me

flipper

hi guys, I have a problem on a fresh install of ESXI 6, when I try to attach a hard drive as a datastore, I get the folowing error:

Appel "HostDatastoreSystem.QueryVmfsDatastoreCreateOptions" pour l'objet "ha-datastoresystem" sur ESXi "xx.Xx.Xx.Xx" a échoué.

what should I do ? 

danyxp

in cli:

partedUtil mklabel /dev/disks/<disk id> msdos

disk id wothout the <>

you will lose all data on the hdd

miodzicho

Hi All

I tried to replace scsi-hpvsa on my ESXi (first I tried on 5.5, then I did full install of 6.0), but still getting :

The transaction is not supported: VIB Hewlett-Packard_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.100-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 cannot be removed live.
 Please refer to the log file for more details.

I did reboot, I'm in maintenance mode. What is probably important, after issuing this command, and rebooting, ESXi lost configuration, list of VM's was reverted to 2 instead of 6. Also SSH was disabled. So somehow some kind of restore happened.

Beahves exactly same way on 5.5 and 6.0

miodzicho

Yes, i did,still getting same error : 

[root@alien:~] esxcli software vib remove -n scsi-hpvsa -f
 [InstallationError]
 The transaction is not supported: VIB Hewlett-Packard_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.100-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 cannot be removed live.
 Please refer to the log file for more details.

danyxp

Sorry, I never encountered this; this is a strange one if all vm's are stopped and the host is in maintenance mode. 

ArnisR

Can someone help me how to nail down ESXi process which uses disk/datastore?

All VMs and any fast data resides on SSD. HDD datastores (on B120i RAID) are used for cold data.

If VM with additionally assigned storage on HDD is powered up (disk is not even mounted in VM), ESXi starts to somehow monitor it and frequently access disk/datastore with small read/write. VM doesn't access disk. I monitor it with esxtop.

paolo.macor

Hello, I just want to share my experience with my Gen8; 

I used my MS Gen7 as homelab ESXi host, and to refresh th platform I bought a Gen8 with Celeron® G1610T. Once upgraded it to 16GB, installed ESXi 6 on a microSD. I originally wanted to reuse the four HDDrives that came from my previous Gen7.

First of all I experienced all the mentioned probems with B120i in AHCI mode, so I configured the controller as RAID and each single HDD as a RAID 0 volume. Everithing got working but disk performances were extremely disappointing.

But then I tried AHCI again and a Samsung 850 EVO 256 SSD (and then another 512GB) in the ODD port I got the desired performances, So I placed teh two SSDs in slot 0 and in slot 1 which are SATA3 capable and the overall  benchmark was very surprising.

Performnces are really remarkable:

SSD.png

but even now whenever I insert a magnetic HDD in a slot, system becomes faulty, datastores apper and disapper ...

schoondoggy

Hello, I just want to share my experience with my Gen8;

I used my MS Gen7 as homelab ESXi host, and to refresh th platform I bought a Gen8 with Celeron® G1610T. Once upgraded it to 16GB, installed ESXi 6 on a microSD. I originally wanted to reuse the four HDDrives that came from my previous Gen7.

First of all I experienced all the mentioned probems with B120i in AHCI mode, so I configured the controller as RAID and each single HDD as a RAID 0 volume. Everithing got working but disk performances were extremely disappointing.

But then I tried AHCI again and a Samsung 850 EVO 256 SSD (and then another 512GB) in the ODD port I got the desired performances, So I placed teh two SSDs in slot 0 and in slot 1 which are SATA3 capable and the overall benchmark was very surprising.

Performnces are really remarkable:

SSD.png

but even now whenever I insert a magnetic HDD in a slot, system becomes faulty, datastores apper and disapper ...

The older version of the B120i driver for ESXi seems to perform better than the newest.