RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

ESXi notes

flipper

which version of  ESXI do you recommend ? 5.5 or 6? What are the main differences?

snapper

which version of  ESXI do you recommend ? 5.5 or 6? What are the main differences?

depends what you want to do with it...

the microserver is on the HCL for both 5.5 and 6 so if you don't have anything fancy (hardware or software) just use v6

k-smirnov

Hello!

Did anybody try the new 5.5.0.100 driver?

Clunt

depends what you want to do with it...

the microserver is on the HCL for both 5.5 and 6 so if you don't have anything fancy (hardware or software) just use v6

And What if you're using a Gen8 with an E3 1265 and 16GB Ram and a P222 (4x4TB) and 2x120gb 840's on the b120i?

I've just updated to the 2015.10.0 service pack from HP, should I be downloading drivers before installing ESXi and should I be running v6.0?

snapper

And What if you're using a Gen8 with an E3 1265 and 16GB Ram and a P222 (4x4TB) and 2x120gb 840's on the b120i?

I've just updated to the 2015.10.0 service pack from HP, should I be downloading drivers before installing ESXi and should I be running v6.0?

i can't see a reason not to use esxi6.

be sure to use the HP install image though as it includes all the drivers for both raid cards without needing to download anything else...

Clunt

i can't see a reason not to use esxi6.

be sure to use the HP install image though as it includes all the drivers for both raid cards without needing to download anything else...

Great, reckon its still worth downgrading the hpvsa driver to .88? I've only just got ESXI6.0 on the box so far, how do I test the speeds of my 2x SSD's in RAID1 on the B120i?

danyxp

I test on a win7 vm using this little program :

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

Without the driver downgrade to .88 the file transfers between my desktop and the gen8 (in lan) are low speed and unstable, often they hang for a wile and resume later. 

With .88 driver file transfer is ok, 80-110 MB/s, depending on what files I'm using.

hdd-speed.png

win7 vm on ssd datastore, .88 driver (raid 0)

Edit

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2487188#2487188

Someone tested the two drivers in linux, last post on the first page; do that test if you want :)

Edited by danyxp

flipper

If I use the integrated raid card in raid 0, do I need to do something with the drivers ? I am running ESXI 5.5 with lastest HP SPP installed and xpenology on it and it seems I have some issues with transfers too (unstable)

danyxp

I also use the integrated card in raid0, never installed drivers for it; I used the custom hp image when I installed esxi.

• Like 1