RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi notes

GotNoTime

On 10/28/2021 at 4:26 PM, VR6Pete said:

Hey folks, are there still issues with the B120i on ESXI 7? 

I've just dusted off my server after a number of years gathering dust so just trying to see if its worth updating to 7.x or look into proxmox. 

wold consider P222 if someone is selling at right price too. 

Cheers

Pete

I would say go with Proxmox. It’s actively developed, free and open source, and has a thriving community that will be able to answer your questions. ESXi is more industry standard but you will often be told your hardware is not supported unless asking on Reddit. I prefer software that doesn’t require a specific build (for the micro server) because you don’t have to rely on their continued development for that platform.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 1:19 AM, E3000 said:

I would say go with Proxmox. It’s actively developed, free and open source, and has a thriving community that will be able to answer your questions. ESXi is more industry standard but you will often be told your hardware is not supported unless asking on Reddit. I prefer software that doesn’t require a specific build (for the micro server) because you don’t have to rely on their continued development for that platform.

I decided to stick with esx 6.7 - now fully patched with latest updates (including hotfixes released yesterday) seems to be running smooth - recently upgraded CPU to Xeon and stuck an SSD volume in too. 

looked too much of a faff to get proxmox up and running from the articles I read.