RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GotNoTime

ESXi notes

Socra

Is there any consensus or which version to install on the Microserver Gen8? HP Custom ESXi ISO or stock VMWare ESXI ISO?

Won't be using the HP RAID Controller (just need the SATA port on the motherboard.) I'll be using an M1015 that I already have.

Edited by Socra

yodafett

The sata port is still on the raid controller socra.

Socra

@yodafett.

So there is no way I can use a M1015 RAID controller and the sata port on the motherboard?

(so I'll have to use an extra cable from my M1015 to my ssd placed at the cdrom drive?)

yodafett

You might be able to if you set the controller in achi mode but that comes with higher speed. I suggest outing a 32gb sandisk fit in the on board USB and boot off it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Socra

Thanks yodafett! :)

That was my plan, use a SATA cable for a SSD in the optical bay and a 32 GB micro sd card to install ESXi on. (motherboard has an microsd slot next to the usb drive)
Just unsure if I should use stock or HP custom esxi iso.

danyxp

I used hp image to avoid issues with drivers; had to downgrade hpvsa driver for better performance. I also have problems with a 2 Tb external usb3 hdd (seagate) but I think that is OS related (xpenology, freezes the vm and vsphere is not usable anymore, I have to restart the server manually about every 48 hours). Without that external drive I have no problems.

PS: running esxi 6.0 on the internal usb port, xpeno installed on a ssd, and 3 drives added via RDM; using raid 0 on the hp controller for all storage to get the fan at 6%

iruindegi

Hi!

I just received my microserver, upgraded memory (10Gb) and pluged an micro sd carg (Sandisk 8Gb). I booted the Esxi 6.0 installation from USB card but there is no sd card for install destination. What´s happening? Did I miss something?

thanks in advance

snapper

For those not already aware, there is a VMware fling available now that allows web management of the ESXi host without needing VCSA.

See https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

I've been using it for a while now and although its still work in progress, its very good :)

there is an issue with using the free esxi licence that they are working on, but you can always remove your free licence key to run as a trial to use the fling.

Edited by snapper
  • Like 1

mars2fobos

For those not already aware, there is a VMware fling available now that allows web management of the ESXi host without needing VCSA.

See https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

I've been using it for a while now and although its still work in progress, its very good :)

there is an issue with using the free esxi licence that they are working on, but you can always remove your free licence key to run as a trial to use the fling.

Thank you for the information. Finally I can manage my host from my Mac desktop.