ESXi notes

GotNoTime

22 hours ago, pumek said:

Backup vms

Turn off b120i - use ahci

Create datastore on ssd

Create 1 vmdisk for system and rdms for wd reds

Attache rdms to freenas vm

Thanks. I followed your instructions and it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont understand how people are updating to 6.7 on this server. I tried burning 6.7 U3 vanilla on USB and start - but did not want to install.

I also tried the these instructions to flash .zip files:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2008939

and tried the HPE custom ESXi image for gen9 both 6.7 U1 U2 and U3 . None worked...

What am I doing wrong..?

On 12/15/2019 at 9:35 AM, pumek said:

Backup vms

Turn off b120i - use ahci

Create datastore on ssd

Create 1 vmdisk for system and rdms for wd reds

Attache rdms to freenas vm

why disable b120i? I currently have it on with ubuntu (hardware raid defenitely not working). I have an ssd in the odd bay with ubuntu, 1tb hardrive and 2x2tb WD red. And it just works. somehow.

Im new to all the jargon you mentioned, care to elaborate?

On 12/26/2019 at 3:34 PM, pumek said:

Install hp 6.5u2 and then upgrade to HP 6.7 via USB or ilo rc

Ok so it wont work with HO 6.5u3 to HP 6.7 ?
I will try going from 6.5U2 instead then but to what 6.7 version? Is it possible to update to latest HP 6.7U3 or are we stuck on other version?

How should I downgrade to 6.5U2 now that I have 6.5U3?

I'm running 2x 500GB SSD's R-1 for ESXi boot volume, and using my other P222 controller with 4 x 4GB WD Red's (R-5) for my datastore.  I've gotten HP images of 6.5 U2 and U3 to install.  I've been trying to upgrade to 6.7 without any luck. 

I've tried offline install, and doing the USB Boot ISO upgrade option, and the online upgrade without any luck   I've tried upgrading from both 6.5, 6,5 U2, and 6.5 U3. 

Is it possible to run 6.7+ with both the onboard controller AND the P222 running? 

When trying to use the 6.7 HP ISO on USB, it shows my RAID1 boot mirror as two separate drives and throws up an error saying I have the same install UUID on two separate locations.  Is this related to why many people are turning off AHCI?

• 2 months later...

I can successfully install (it would appear) HPE Gen9 Plus Custom Image for ESXi 6.7 Update 2 Install CD https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI67U2-HPE&productId=745 (fresh install using iso on a USB) on my Gen8 microserver but I can't then login as root (either using DCUI or browser) using what I am adamant is the same password. 

Standard message is "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password". The fact that ESXi accepts my password during the install process (typed on usb keyboard) suggests the password is valid - so I am very confused. 

I've reinstalled multiple times using different passwords and the result is the same.  Considering my sanity here !

Any thoughts ? Thanks Paul

2 hours ago, phguk said:

I can successfully install (it would appear) HPE Gen9 Plus Custom Image for ESXi 6.7 Update 2 Install CD https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI67U2-HPE&productId=745 (fresh install using iso on a USB) on my Gen8 microserver but I can't then login as root (either using DCUI or browser) using what I am adamant is the same password. 

Standard message is "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password". The fact that ESXi accepts my password during the install process (typed on usb keyboard) suggests the password is valid - so I am very confused. 

I've reinstalled multiple times using different passwords and the result is the same.  Considering my sanity here !

Any thoughts ? Thanks Paul

Hey dude.. Believe me I have been down this road..

ESXi is really bad with passwords and keyboard management..
First of all, have a simple password, only minimum strange symbols if any. I think just a "!" somwhere is enough to avoid problems with different keyboard layouts etc.

Then check out the method you use to type the password. Is it through a browser? If so change browser.
If through some console like iLO or IPMI - check the keyboard language settings of that method.
Something you could check is just typing your entire password in the "username" field so that you see exactly how each symbol is interpreted . If it looks good then login should work using that method.