RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi notes

GotNoTime

1) Inplace update to ESXi 6.7 using the "VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-OS-Release-8169922-HPE-Gen9plus-670.10.2.0.35-Apr2018.iso." ESXi is installed on a Micro SDcard.

2) I'm using an Intel Xeon 1265L, B120i (4  HDD in RAID) and 16GB of HP ECC Memory. SSD installed on the ODD bus and a NVMe storage on the PCIe bus. All storage is Samsung except for HDD's (HGST).

No errors after update and the only issue is that the B120i is not performing well with SSD's on ODD bus. Same as with 6.5 and 6.0. So reinstall of old VIB drivers for the B120i is probably necessary.

5af59fa513e80_2018-05-1115_47_19-esxigen8.local-VMwareESXi.png.601d2fb5518cec1d3fe598a3bc5bec6b.png

Just checked. The correct (old) SCSI-HPVSA vib is installed. 5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820. Now i wonder if it did not overwrite the older vib during upgrade or that HP now included the old driver in ESXi 6.7. So the performace issues on my SDD has to come from somewhere else.

image.png.b2fb4420d060763db640e035cdd1c587.png

Edited by sorted

Hey Sorted, I too upgraded to 6.7, but for some reason my raid is slow after the upgrade. Is there a driver VIB I need, or should look for?

My SSD is as speedy as it was before the upgrade, I made sure to test. 

• 3 weeks later...

@AnthonyS: Can't tell... All I know is that vib 5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820 is the one that seems to work well for everybody. The issue that is still have might be related to the SSD rather then the vib. I'll first have to sort out using an other SSD is that makes any difference to the performance.

2 hours ago, sorted said:

@AnthonyS: Can't tell... All I know is that vib 5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820 is the one that seems to work well for everybody. The issue that is still have might be related to the SSD rather then the vib. I'll first have to sort out using an other SSD is that makes any difference to the performance.

I should have articulated the issue better. I have a Windows VM with the OS (C Drive) located on an SSD off the onboard SATA. I have an E drive, for my data drive, that is part of a raid 5 3x8TB WD RED array. When I RDP into the VM and do a copy from E to C, or C to E using one 5GB file, it is sustained around 200MB/s. When I do it over my network now, it's about 15MB/s. 

I made sure to update vmware tools. I've always had the VMXNET3 NIC.

Funnily enough, I have gig fiber at home, and I can download from the internet, on that VM over 80MB/s... depending on the host. 

The host i've been testing with (My PC, not a VM) is hooked up via gig ethernet as well, can download from the internet around 80MB/s, depending on the host. Yet it can only get about 15MB/s when copying from a shared drive. It was quite speedy before, in the 100MB/s range. 

@AnthonyS: I dont have that issue myself after the upgrade. Network filecopy (NAS <> ESXi) is as normal, also to network shares on a Windows server (VM <> PC).  Perhaps it's more network/services related then disk. Apart from updating the tools also update to hardware version related to ESXi 6.7 ( richtclick VM > upgrade VMware compatibility). This action requiers that the VM is down.

Do you have a direct connection to that network share? Or does suddenly  it route over WiFi perhaps, i'm just guessing. Try a tracert (trace route) to you network shared drive. How many hops does it show and what is the latency? should be <1ms for a local network.

@sorted Right when I booted up on 6.7, the VM wanted me to upgrade compatability to 6.7, which I did. Then booted the VM, and installed latest vmware tools. So that's probably not it.

I have a direct connection via fiber -> ONT -> Ethernet -> pfsense (physical standalone server with 4 intel nics) WAN port. Then LAN port to 8 port gig layer 2 switch, which my ESXi box is connected via ethernet to, and my gaming PC, also via ethernet. Then my AP is connected,via Ethernet,  so no chance of routing to that AP. I also ran a tracert from desktop to server, and I only get the gateway. All negotiating 1000 FULL as well. The ESXi box is a microserver gen8 with a E3-1265L, SSD for the OS running off the local SATA (Cougar Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller), and then a raid 5 with 8TB WD REDS for that E drive I was mentioning, connected via P222 raid card.

Edited by AnthonyS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I am new to VMware, and I thought I would try ESXi 6.7 on my Gen 8 microserver. Have updated the bios etc on the server.

Anyway, for some reason ESXi does not recognize the internal network interfaces. I have had to put in an intel card to even complete the install. I used the custom iso from HP the one that says G9 in the name. Now I am stuck, I know the network BCM5717, which seems to have the drivers there? but will not install? Read something about creating my own iSO and inserting drivers? But very confused as to which and what ones to use? and where from?

Sorry that was all rather incoherent, but this has really left me stumped.

Best Paul.

I use the b120i in raid one and ESXi 6.0.0 u2 installed directly to there. 6.7 does something as every other offline bundle update and reboots to purple screen telling me I have 2 ESXi installations. Luckily reboots back into 6.0.0. I am tempted to repeat using install instead of update on cli but I am concerned it will kill the 6.0.0 build and not allow the same fall back?  Anyway this been 2 years with this BS lack of support on b120i. 

😭

2 hours ago, PunyEarthling76 said:

I use the b120i in raid one and ESXi 6.0.0 u2 installed directly to there. 6.7 does something as every other offline bundle update and reboots to purple screen telling me I have 2 ESXi installations. Luckily reboots back into 6.0.0. I am tempted to repeat using install instead of update on cli but I am concerned it will kill the 6.0.0 build and not allow the same fall back?  Anyway this been 2 years with this BS lack of support on b120i. 

😭

Apologies for rants but taking steroids and mania happens.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Anyone could get driver ESXI work with good speed SSD?

I already tried to disable vmw-ahci, but write speed no more than 200 MB\s,

I already tried to using b120i on hpvsa.88 but write speed no more than 150 MB\s.

SSD - samsung 850 pro (256gb). 

What else can I try?

P.S. read speed is real for this ssd.