RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi notes

GotNoTime

Drivers? Default. Yesterday I received my GEN8, today I installed Esxi 6.5. The SSD is in the first bay.

Maybe I need to install older drivers for getting higher speed?

So my 4 hot swap trays in the front are on the HP P222 raid card, and my SSD is direct attached to the B120i, which is onboard SATA controller. In my Windows VM it works in the 200MB/s range, but I loaded drivers in ESXi. 

I also installed a bunch of the HPE drivers/VIBs that the HP ISO comes with, because I used the VMWARE ISO to load ESX 6.5 up. I also recently updated to 6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 6765664) and its still speedy. 

EDIT: I also isntalled the latest SPP, which updates firmware, bios, software, on the microserver gen8. Looks like the latest one from November is found here:

Edited by AnthonyS

Hi. I’m trying to install esxi 6.5u1 on my hp microserver gen8, but stuck with this error just after EULA agreement. All disks and internal sd card are disconnected.

Any ideas?

Скриншот 2017-11-19 22.25.29.png

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2017 at 1:23 AM, Xatinni said:

Just thought I'd share the ESXi 6.5 installation process I used, most of the info was obtained in this forum - thanks for all the great info

1. Download HPE custom vSphere 6.5 Nov 2016 iso 

2. Installed a 16GB SanDisk Ultra Micro SD and 4 x 2TB WD Red drives in Micoserver

3. Created a B120i raid 1 + 0 array 

4. installed Custom HPE 6.5 ESXi  on 16GB SanDisk Ultra Micro SD - eg via iLO remote console and mounting custom HPE ESXi iso as virtual drive 

5. log into ESXi via Web URL and created a new datastore - eg datastore1 

5. Enabled TSM-SSH (SSH) via web URL and SSH'ed into ESXi  (using PuTTY: a free SSH and Telnet client)

6. Confirmed read/writes are still an issue - Tested time to write a file to disk with the bundled scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.102-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 driver
# cd /vmfs/volumes/datastore1 
# time dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=8k count=1000000

1000000+0 records in
1000000+0 records out
real    8m 47.34s
user    0m 3.81s

no good, decided to downgrade

7. downloaded the hpvsa-5.5.0-88.zip archive (as per HP advisory) and uploaded the vib to the datastore. eg  /datastore1/patch/scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib via the ESXi web interface

8. remove the exsisting scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.102-1O driver (via SSH) (enable maintenance mode first)
# esxcli software vib remove -n HPE:scsi-hpvsa

Removal Result
   Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
   Reboot Required: true
   VIBs Installed:
   VIBs Removed: HPE_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.102-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820
   VIBs Skipped:

9. Install the scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 downgraded driver 
# esxcli software vib install --viburl=/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/patch/scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib

Installation Result
   Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
   Reboot Required: true
   VIBs Installed: Hewlett-Packard_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820
   VIBs Removed:
   VIBs Skipped:

10. Disable ESXi vmc_ahci module (if not completed, ahci is used by default. eg array is not initialised via hpvsa and ahci initialises disks as 4 separate physical disks) 
# esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=mw_ahciv

11. Reboot Server

12. Re-test file write speed to local data store (disable maintenance mode and enable TSM-SSH first)

# cd /vmfs/volumes/datastore1 
# time dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=8k count=1000000

1000000+0 records in
1000000+0 records out
real    1m 40.79s
user    0m 3.70s
sys     0m 0.00s

much better

So I was trying to update 6.0.0u3 to 6.5.0u1 with the hp offline bundle. 

Plan was install the bundle then downgrade drivers before the reboot. 

However esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci gives me a module not found error.

I assumed this is because it's not running in 6.0.0u3. I am using b120 in raid1 (i know everyone hates it but i started using it at the beginning and changing tracks now is too much faff)

So i thought ok apply it after the upgrade except i can't because i get error saying there two disks with same uuid. I assume this because it's gone ahci mode so it seems like a catch-22.

I can't turn off the vmw_ahci because it's not present in my 6.0.0 build. Now i had downgraded to the scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib in 6.0.0 and i am wondering if I followed some instructions to blast the vmw_ahci way back in 5.5 because it wasn't needed. 

Anyway not sure where I go from here. Looking for inspiration, suggestions. reverted to the 6.0.0.u3 build for time being. I mostly only upgrade this on my winter break so if I don't figure it out it's a 2019 project :P

why upgrading to 6.5 ?

6.5 gave me too much troubles managing it via webclient, so i reverted back to 6.0 with 088 driver ans all smooth now.

on 6.0 you can install the webui fling to give you that 6.5 feeling, but i hardly use it

1 hour ago, Dijkmane said:

why upgrading to 6.5 ?

6.5 gave me too much troubles managing it via webclient, so i reverted back to 6.0 with 088 driver ans all smooth now.

on 6.0 you can install the webui fling to give you that 6.5 feeling, but i hardly use it

As much as us diehard VMware guys hate the webgui, that is the way VMware is taking it. I think that is poor advice to say not upgrade. If you do not do that, you will eventually be unpatched, behind on updates, and unsupported. If you do not care about that, then by all means stay on 6.0 or 5.x. But if you want to stay current, patched, and supported, you should probably adopt the new webui. 

18 hours ago, AnthonyS said:

As much as us diehard VMware guys hate the webgui, that is the way VMware is taking it. I think that is poor advice to say not upgrade. If you do not do that, you will eventually be unpatched, behind on updates, and unsupported. If you do not care about that, then by all means stay on 6.0 or 5.x. But if you want to stay current, patched, and supported, you should probably adopt the new webui. 

Those are my reasons. 

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, what is the latest version of ESXi compatible with the GEN8 microserver?

ESXI 6.7 I see something strange: http://prntscr.com/jc2dsc

this image use: VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-OS-Release-8169922-HPE-Gen9plus-670.10.2.0.35-Apr2018.iso

Edited by PRGen