GotNoTime

ESXi notes

GotNoTime    219
GotNoTime

HP have released scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0.98-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib but it still causes extreme performance issues. It doesn't appear that they've actually changed anything significant in the driver. My recommendation is to stay with 5.5.0-88.0 still as that is the last version that works.

If the latest version available from vibsdepot is newer than 5.5.0.98-1 then you will need to test the driver yourself or wait for somebody else to test it.

5.5.0.98-1

Updates driver versioning and release numbering to fix VUM issue.

5.5.0.92-1

Spin lock update to fix a potential boot hang.

5.5.0-90.0

Fixes an issue where HDD logical volumes were not being detected at installation.

Fixes an issue where an updated driver was not persistent after a reboot. Previously, after updating the driver and rebooting, the system would revert to the originally installed driver.

5.5.0-88.0

Adds VMkernel style device naming in procinfo alongside hp naming scheme.

5.5.0-86.0

Fixed locking issue that caused the number of commands outstanding to increment/decrement incorrectly, and allowed it to creep upwards.

Fixed an issue where dynamic allocation of memory for the ioctl handler would cause an NMI when it ran out of memory.

Improved locking to prevent race condition when querying OS_get_status

Fixes a miscompare issue when updating global_ris, driver_state and spare_map information.

5.5.0-84.00

Added Optical drive support improvements.

5.5.0-70.0

When the embedded storage controller is configured in AHCI mode, a cache flush is no longer issued upon shutdown.

Previously, when a system that was running an earlier version of the driver was shutdown, a cache flush would be issued to the embedded controller and the system would fail and display the purple-screen-of-death.

Edited by GotNoTime

snapper    33
snapper

I find its easier to patch directly onto the host, rather than downloading to a datastore. Section 3 on this page has the instructions: https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/Help.html

The v-front patch portal is also useful: https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/as it lists the actual download file name you need for the command above.

Advantage of both those is that you don't need a VMWare login to use them :)

• Like 1

GotNoTime    219
GotNoTime

I've made a mistake with the HP updates section but can't edit the main article to correct it. I use VUM so I rarely ever update a host directly :|

19marek19    0
19marek19

I've made a mistake with the HP updates section but can't edit the main article to correct it. I use VUM so I rarely ever update a host directly :|

What's wrong?

TLN    7
TLN

FYI: Tried to install ESXi 6.0 from HP image to Microserver with 2x2Gb ram via ilO console. 

ESXi throwed an error that I dont have enough ram(3.88 vs 4.0). 

So you need at least 8 gigs, even that ESXi requres 4gigs. 

psykix    27
psykix

I think the Matrox card takes some system ram for VRAM.

It would work with a 4Gb+2Gb stick.