RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Play time again

Trig0r

Looking at the P222 again..

Thinking of using the onboard B120i on a break out cable to a pair of SSD's, one for the OS and one for VM's to sit on.

Then a P222 for the cage and my existing 3x4tb drives, then I can add the spare 2tb that I have sat in my cupboard.

I'll be losing 2 of my LAN ports as I use a dual port card at the mo.

I'll also have to look at cooling for the P222 and maybe something active on the CPU as I am on the 1260 so already pushing it, adding the P222 will no doubt push ambients up which will have a knock on effect on the CPU.

Think perhaps I should be waiting for the Gen 9 but I'm well impatient lol

This how I have mine setup except running raid1 off the ssd's on the B120i and a m1015 connected to the cage.  So far no issues yet.

Ordering the P222, SFF cable and a 6Tb drive tomorrow.

Thinking about setup though.

Currently I have 2012r2 with the Essentials feature, DrivePool and Drive Scanner, then Hyper-V role to give me somewhere to stick the VM's.

However, I am thinking of having the essentials side of things on a VM as well, so I'd have base OS, then 3 VM's, the theory being if I never need to rebuild my Essentials server I wont have to evacuate the drivepool and then rebuild it once the server is back up and running.

How are others running this, would I need to run DrivePool and Drive Scanner on the base OS and then pass it through to the VM, or am I just over complicating the issue and should just run Essentials and then 2 VM's....

I am going through a similar dilemma (and asked here last week: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9604-file-server-on-windows-2012-r2-with-hyper-v-role/) on how to set up the File Server side of things, but didn’t get much response.

If you run Drive scanner on the VM then I understand it can’t show SMART info, but can scan the files, so if you want SMART info then you need to run in on the base OS as will.

You could maybe run Essentials in a VM, but still run Drivepool (and Scanner) on the base OS, and then just create one (or more) VHDX files on the Drivepool (and set up duplication if required) and attach to the Essentials VM.

I don't reeeally want to use vhdx, I'd rather use the disks and drivepool rather than risk data loss by spreading a vhdx over an array, thhis is main bit thats putting me off using a vm for the Essentials machine...

Right, P222, 6Tb WD Red and SFF cable have all arrived.

Data has been migrated off of the Drivepool.

Swapped the backing plate on the P222.

Plan tonight it to transfer the Stablebit licence (So I dont have to raise a support call with Chris yet again!!) run any updates that need doing on the FW, stick the pair of SSD's on the SFF cable and look at additional cooling while I am in there, I already have a selection of cable adapters and small fans/heatsinks etc.

How does the P222 handle SSD's, I am still undecided as to how I am going to set them up, originally thinking one SSD for the OS and then just use the other for VM's rather than having a RAID array. 

Plan is to have the B120i with 2 SSD's and then 4 drives running from the P222 in the main cages, the data drives will be running as single drives and then using Drivepool to bang them all together as this gives me better flexibility when it comes to taking drives out in the future and adding larger ones, and if something goes pop I can take the drives out and stick them in another machine and still have access to the data.

I am also looking at the heatsink on the P222, oh my its small, no wonder they get so bloody hot, not a lot of choice really as the layout of the card doesnt allow for a lot, I will see what I have in my box of stuff though and see what can be done, at the very least I'll take the stock compound off and replace it with some AS stuff, I might see if I have some sort of thermal pad and heatsink that I can put on the back of the card where the chip is and see if cooling the back of it helps shave off a few more 0c, perhaps some sort of ducting to direct the airflow a bit as well...

I'm going to get sooo moaned at tonight when I start faffing with stuff lol...

Oh, and while I am in there, anyone need any pictures of stuff?

• Like 1

Both SSD's in, machine booted up.

Have done 1 SSD as OS drive and the other for VM's, P222 is in (fw updated as it was on 5.4, now v6) and running the cage, 2x4Tb and 1x6tb in the bays, cant find my spare tray to put the 4th drive in as the old SSD was just stuck into the cage as didnt have a converter..

Temps are ok at the mo with no additional cooling in place, once everything is up and running I'll have a play dropping temps etc. might stick a few vent holes in the side nearest the P222's heatsink and stick a fan on there to pull air directly in from the side and fire it at the P222...

• Like 1

I've been using the B120i for two SSDs in RAID-0 and the P222 for four hard disks in RAID-5 for quite some time now.  No issues.  I'm using two Crucial M500 SSDs.

Of course, the RAID-0 is the boot OS only only, and I've got an external backup drive.  Data and any Hyper-V VMs I play with, they get stored on the RAID-5 (I have an SBS 2011 VM, mainly for a bit of experimentation involving some work clients, I don't keep it online much).

Edited by LoneWolf

On another note, isn't playtime fun? :)

I just did a major revamp of my network.  In the past year I got Watchguard-certified, so I've now got an XTM-25W as my router/firewall (certification means you can purchase one at quite a deal).  While changing that, I added in a Cisco SG300-10MPP managed PoE switch as my head-end, and tonight, I set up a LAGG for my Microserver, so the NICs are a 2Gbps team now.  Probably serious overkill, but fun.

Long-term, I'm looking at swapping my ASUS AC87 router (now only being used as an access point) for maybe two SMB or enterprise APs.  In the process, I'll be adding one more switch to the network, my Netgear GS-110TP PoE, and will link that and the Cisco via fiber for grins.

Yeah I keep looking at putting the spare ASA we have at work in at home just because I can, again though its more faffing which never goes down well, I could probably get away with wiring the house up with C6 and dropping a PoE switch somewhere as she wants to put a security cam setup in, might have to see what she will allow me to do and then sidemod other stuff at the same time...