RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

S.M.A.R.T. question

psykix

I've just finally got all my data off my Storage Spaces volume - and I'm about to give Drivepool/Scanner a whirl.

I've split up the drives and reformatted each as a NTFS volume with no drive letter.

Some issues though.. I have my OS drive as a SSD and 4x4Tb drives in the bays, each drive is configured as a single RAID 0 array to avoid the issues with fan noise.

However... Stablebit Scanner is not seeing any S.M.A.R.T. info for the drives - is this a limitation of them being configured as RAID? Do they have to be AHCI?

If so, I presume I can switch to AHCI using a reg hack (Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials) but then what about the fan noise issue? Any way around that?

I'd prefer to keep the current RAID 0 config if I can get S.M.A.R.T. reporting working..

Hopefully someone can help out - my server is without data until I can figure a way forward!!

Cheers..

Edited by psykix

One other piece of info that may be relevant! I have an extra SATA card installed, so I could run the OS SSD off that, however is there an easy way for me to take the current RAID 0 SSD OS drive off the ODD SATA port and add to my SATA card and change it to AHCI or is it going to require an OS reinstall?

Yes, this is a limitation of the RAID controller.

For StableBit Scanner to access the SMART data, they need to be in AHCI mode (or otherwise "passed through", and not part of a RAID array).

However, the surface and file system scans will work fine regardless of what mode the drives are in.

As for the fan noise issue, I'm not sure how the fans are connected.

If they're using 3 or 4 pin PWM connectors (rather than molex), then an in line resistor may work to fix it.

Noctua actually sells these as "Low Noise Adaptors", and may be perfect for that.

3pin: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=69&lng=en

4pin: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=70&lng=en

I think I'm gonna move the OS SSD to the extra SATA card, and then run everything as AHCI.

Fan noise isn't really an issue as it is in a garage where it generally can't be heard.

The only big question now really is can I do the switch with the OS drive without a reinstall?

Well I tried reg hacks and other methods and it just still gives an error, so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and do a clean install :-(

This "low noise adapter" you can easily do with a resistor or you are using the molex wires red=5v yellow=12v black=ground

With these you can go for 5V, 7V or 12V and you save the money for a "LNA".

One other point, if I understood you right you can not check health status (SMART) with your current setup? I had similar issues and HD Sentienel was able to show me all values and information of drives connected to my Gen8. I had similar issues with drives connected to my LSI controller and for those drives running "offline with pass through" to VMs.

Maybe it can help you too.

Ok, I had problems with my (brand new) add in SATA card, so I'm currently going back to RAID 0 array for the SSD

Do I leave the drives in the bay unassigned or create separate RAID 0 arrays for those too?

Basically I want to use Stablebit DriveScanner and pass through the SMART info to it.

I had nothing installed other than a default installation of Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

I think, as stated above, Stablebit requires the drives to be in AHCI to get SMART info.

Other apps seem to pull SMART info in other ways.

Before you rebuild everything. I would load the two items listed above and see if SSA gives you the info you need.

Are you looking for warnings of drive failure?