RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Noise compared with N54L or ML10 v2

MonocleFox

I currently own an N54L and am considering upgrading to the Gen 8 Microserver. I have read that it is easier to work with and introduces some nice new features. However, my biggest concern with upgrading is noise. My N54L started off fairly silently but over the space of around a year has slowly grown more and more noisy to the point I can hear it in the hallway with my door closed.

I recently had the opportunity to play around with a Gen 8 and it seemed noisy when it first boots and is going through the early stages - it also seems a little slow to boot. After that the fans become much quieter and I can barely hear it after that. However, from what I have read there was a firmware bug at some point which kept the fans spinning at a fairly high speed and from other posts here I've heard it still isn't really that quiet and I worry that from my limited experiences of the Gen 8 that perhaps like my N54L it will get far more noisy over time.

I was hoping someone could advise on whether the Gen 8 would really be a suitable build for something that is reasonably quiet? It won't be sitting in the same room so as long as it is reasonably quiet I don't really mind too much. However, I've read others advise something like the ML10 v2 Entry Pentium G3240 as it tends to be much quieter overall? My only concern with the latter is the CPU has an even higher TDP but it maybe isn't so bad when it isn't under load.

Anyway, I know this forum is specifically for the Gen 8 so it would be interesting to hear experiences. I'm not sure if my N54L experiences are uncharacteristic (maybe just a fan with defects) and how the Gen 8 might compare over time.

I think if you went with a E3-1220Lv2 and made sure your were running the 6/6/14 BIOS (and have the BIOS fan profile on its lowest setting) it should be pretty quiet but like the N40/54L a lot depends on what else you put in it.  You'd want to continue the theme with low power (i.e. low heat output) SSD's and NAS HDD's for instance..............  Of course the ML10v2 does sound like a nice machine -- but I have no experience with that so maybe others could advise..................

is it possible your n54l accumulated some dust/debris? Sometimes a good session with a can of compressed air can work wonders!

just a thought...

and another - is some bearing going bad perhaps? like on a fan or disk drive?

Edited by nrf

I think if you went with a E3-1220Lv2 and made sure your were running the 6/6/14 BIOS (and have the BIOS fan profile on its lowest setting) it should be pretty quiet but like the N40/54L a lot depends on what else you put in it.  You'd want to continue the theme with low power (i.e. low heat output) SSD's and NAS HDD's for instance..............  Of course the ML10v2 does sound like a nice machine -- but I have no experience with that so maybe others could advise..................

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware you could set the fan profile differently as well so that sounds like a pretty good option! I have three HDDs in at the moment although two of them are mostly spun down except when needed (just general media) so it's really only the one that's on 24/7. I might look in to replacing it with an SSD to reduce power consumption and noise :)

is it possible your n54l accumulated some dust/debris? Sometimes a good session with a can of compressed air can work wonders!

just a thought...

and another - is some bearing going bad perhaps? like on a fan or disk drive?

I did wonder about this. I have taken your advice and given it a good blast with compressed air to see if it calms the noise a bit. I think the HDDs are okay for now but I do wonder if it's a bearing going bad. I've looked into guides about replacing the fans but the cost/effort ratio isn't all that far off the idea of selling it on to someone for parts and getting the Gen 8 if it's fairly good for noise. Having said that, if the compressed air does the trick I should probably be fairly content with a little while.

The Gen8 is really well priced so it's always great to recommend for clients who want a small server in their office as well if it isn't too noisy :)

Edited by MonocleFox

yes, I've heard lots about the gen8. I was impressed with the way you can work in them -vs- the intricacies of the g7 where you can't really get your hands in the back of it. putting the mobo  back in with two pci-e cards is no fun, especially if power goes to one or more of them.

but my two little sevens are quite silent and hopefully will not need any more fussing. should I win the lottery I might look at upgrades.

• Like 1