RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Weather station software

nblilie

This probably has a very small market, but has anyone run weather station software on their WHS?

I have a Davis Instruments Weather Monitor II and use Davis WeatherLink to keep track of it. Data is uploaded to Weather Underground and has a few other uses so I have a (nearly) dedicated computer to handle it but I'd love to offload to my WHS box. How about experience with serial ports or USB/serial interfaces on WHS?

Thanks for any information.

Does the software run as a service on your desktop computer (meaning you can close out the window and the software is still running)? You would probably need to remote desktop in to your WHS and give it try installing from the desktop. There are people using USB tuners, DVD drives, keyboards, etc. with WHS. It will likely be no problem. If it works on XP you probably will have success on WHS.

Is your server homebuilt or off the shelf like a HP MediaSmartServer?

BTW, I just saw where someone else is using their WHS to monitor an accelerometer sensor for reporting earthquake tremors. The sensor is a USB device and the software runs as a service sending data back to a university in California.

Let us know if you give it a try and how it worked...I may be interested in trying it myself.

It's not a service, it's a plain-old application. I'll probably just try it to see what happens. The weather station hardware is what will make the attempt difficult. It's not wireless and the server and weather station are currently wired up in different rooms.

My server is a homebuilt, created from spare parts. Currently an Athlon 64 3200+ in an Antec 300 case with about 3.5 TB of storage. This is its second iteration but it's served me well for over 2 years.

nbliilie,

I have Davis Vantage pro 2 via usb - I report to wunderground and noaa. As you may read the usb/serial converter is a pain in the but and somtimes drops out or corupts the data. About 3 years ago I tested the usb connection with my mac mini and some mac soft and I have to tell you it has not stopped running for 3 years.

I do not know if they have finally fixed the usb drivers and if my data logger is the same yours. But I would hope they fixed it. As far as using it with WHS it uses no resources at all, you will have to set your reporting software as a service. As long as the usb data logger doesnt drop out you should be fine!

CD

I was mostly successful. After figuring out that I'd disabled the serial ports on my server, hauling it down so that I could hook up a keyboard and monitor to get into the BIOS, and changing the settings, I installed the software. Up to this point, all was well. I used the serial port instead of USB because, like CD said, the USB to serial converters are flaky at best.

I tried using the AnyServiceInstaller add-in to install the data logger software as a service, but after starting, it didn't work. The service was running but nothing was happening. Are there limitations on what can actually be running as a service? Instead, with the normal application software running, everything seems to be OK. What problems might I see running it this way?

If you want to see the weather at my house, coming from my home server, here's the link. (My weather data) If this ever stops updating, you know that something's wrong.

While at work today I noticed that my server was down but it turned out to be an unrelated Lights Out configuration problem.

I read some more about srvany.exe and have some things to try getting the logging software to work as a service again. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on getting a GUI program running as a service?

TIA

Still no luck on the service front. I followed the instructions that I found for uTorrent to make sure that it was using an account that had the privileges required but it won't update unless running as a normal program. I guess for now I'll have to make sure that I login and start the program whenever the server gets shutdown.

nblilie,

I have some issues with srvany.exe. with sabnzbd. I just cant find the time to play with it to figure out the issue. Wish I knew how to develop addins! But if your weather program is in the start up menu and the server reboots for some reason you could remote in through your webpage, then log in to your server and use advance admin addin to launch the logging program of choice.

I would set wunderground and you software to rapid-fire and then you will always know when the server or the data logger chokes.