RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 to host website

fastcooler

Hello,

I am new to Windows Server 2012 R2 and I am trying to find out if is it possible to use the "Essentials" edition to host (IIS) an internet website based on .aspx and MS SQL 2012 Express or not.

I cannot understand if it is mandatory to use the "Standard" Edition, due to 25 users limitation by Essentials, or if I can use it to freely publish my website.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

F

I believe the 25 limit is related to joined client machines that you would be backing up / providing domain services / sharing files for.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am new to Windows Server 2012 R2 and I am trying to find out if is it possible to use the "Essentials" edition to host (IIS) an internet website based on .aspx and MS SQL 2012 Express or not.

I cannot understand if it is mandatory to use the "Standard" Edition, due to 25 users limitation by Essentials, or if I can use it to freely publish my website.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

F

To be blunt, this is a question that is best answered by a Microsoft Certified Partner, as .... they're trained to answer that sort of question. 

I believe the 25 limit is related to joined client machines that you would be backing up / providing domain services / sharing files for.

Specifically, it's "25 users", no need for CALs. 

As for MS-SQL Express, I don't believe that this counts against the number of users, as it's hosted as a system service.  But I'm not 100% certain about that (hence the above comments).

However.... I clearly host multiple websites on my Server 2012R2 Essentials site. (wordpress, owncloud, subsonic, emby, and a few others)

• 2 weeks later...

It should work fine --however, keep in mind that the "Essentials" products may have limitations to how many CPU sockets or CPU cores are supported, which may in turn, limit performance of a website if it gets demanding.  The same is true of SQL Express.

Here's a link to Microsofts Server 2012 R2 Products and Editions comparison:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41703&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

Make sure that you get an SSL cert for your website too, at least if you're going to make it public facing rather than just on an intranet.