RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help Please with Gen 8 set up

rs6mra

Hi, 

I have the basic Gen 8 server and i want to set it up so that i can run Plex server. 

It would be used to store and access music files, photographs, downloaded videos from the likes of YouTube and daily backups of my PC and soon to be 2 PCs. 

I will not be running a RAID set and will only be using a WD Red 3TB drive for now which would backup to another system. 

My understanding is that I can install Exsi as the OS and then Plex Server - is this correct? 

Whether I need to increase the RAM at this stage or not is another question as I was unable to determine the minimum Specs to run the latest Exsi but was able to find it for previous versions. 

If so can i run both Exsi and Plex Server off a USB key and if so how much space do they require? 

From what i have read on various forums, it appears that I will have to use USB 2.0 rather than USB 3.0 - is this correct?

At present my set up is such that my TVs, Blu-ray players and PCs are all gigabit wired and DLNA compatible and doing the above via a Buffalo Linkstation NAS. 

Not sure ESXi is free, you can get Hyper-V for free so I'd run with that, unless you have other specific requirements for running ESXi.

Do you have any other drives?

I'd be more tempted to get an OS drive, then use the WD as a data drive, put Hyper-V on the OS drive, then add a VM for running Plex on, thats ore or less how I run it.

What CPU do you have and how much RAM, both will limit what you can do and how many clients you can stream Plex out too.

ESXi is free, albeit you don't get the nice stuff like Vmotion and so on. I think they even removed the 32Gb RAM limit, although wouldn't matter anyway with a Gen8

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am happy to go with Hyper-V as I have no specific requirements for running EsXi and did not know any better. I guess this Hyper-V you are referring to is that from VMware?

Will I be able to run Hyper-V off a USB? If not then I might consider getting an SSD and running it off that. 

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am happy to go with Hyper-V as I have no specific requirements for running EsXi and did not know any better. I guess this Hyper-V you are referring to is that from VMware?

Will I be able to run Hyper-V off a USB? If not then I might consider getting an SSD and running it off that. 

No experience of ESXi, but I bought my micro server for the exact same purpose; to share and stream media to devices throughout the house.

I haven't fully set mine up yet, but the plan is to install Hyper-V 2012 R2 to an SSD. I will create a VM, running Xpenology, stored on the SSD also, and the 3tb data drive will be used to store and share media from inside the VM. If you have a Windows 8.1 Pro or Enterprise PC/laptop in the house, you can remotely manage the Hyper-V server from that, over the network. Think you can do the same in Windows 8 too, but you'd need Hyper-V 2012 (not R2) for it to be compatible. Makes it easier to manage in a GUI unless you're pretty competent with Command Line/Powershell.

@Trig0r - did you set your drives up as RAID or AHCI?

AHCI, then use Drivepool to sort out the drive shares, prefer that to RAID tbh then add DriveScanner to keep an eye on the drives.

That way I can take drives out of the pool easily enough to add more space as and when.

To be honest, if all you want to do is use it as a storage / streaming device, you would be better off just using something like FreeNAS (need memory upgrade) or Xpenology.

ESXi / HyperV are way way overkill for what you want to do...

Thanks for all the responses. 

I had tried Xpenology but for some reason I could not get the devices to see the Gen8 but the Gen8 could see them and hence the reason I decided to try something else. 

I think my next move would be to order some RAM today. I believe ESXI/HyperV would also work on the standard machine but it would be no speed demon.