RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L with Raid gear

Tikanderoga

Hi all

I've had my N40L Microserver for about 18 months, lost 2 GB of the inital RAM and upped it to 16GB, runs like a charm.

So far I have in there:

1 x 1TB with VMware as host

1 x 3TB WD Green as backup respository, mapped as RDM

2 x 2TB WD Green as storage, mapped as RDM

1 x 2TB WD Green as datastore2 for replicated VM & other shenanigans (Test VM, etc)

Main OS is a Server 2008 R2, doing the job (DNS, FTP, DHCP, Media Server, File Server, Print Server).

I'd like to create a Raid 5 in the 4 disk bays, moving the 1 TB to the ODD slot, and adding a raid card.

I've been contemplating the Rocketraid 620 for this purpose with 4 x 3 or 4 TB drives.

But reading a bit more into this, I started having my doubts if the raid card is the right decision, or should I rather go with software raid like mdadm.

So the things that crept up so far:

Hardware vs software raid?

Which hard disks? I've had the WD Greens in mind as they are low on power consumption, but maybe the red would be better.

Your input?

The HP P410 and LSI boards have been popular in the N40L/N54L's though I don't have direct experience with either

You can find a collection of links about RAID in the N36/40/54L's at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/

I've used the Highpoint 2720 with moderate success in the N40/54L but couldn't really recommend it long term

I've used and am still using the Rocket 640 and Rocket 620A non-RAID cards for their SATA III ports in the N40/54L's and like them but haven't tried their RAID variants

I wouldn't use Green drives for a RAID or NAS application but instead would go with the NAS rated drives from WD or Seagate

• Like 1

I've used the 2720 for about four years now and have moved the card between three machines without absolutely no issues whatsoever.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks everyone :)

I think, I will go with the 2720 and use the eSata as my backup repository drive.

From what I read, people have been using the existing cable to connect to the 2720 to the drives. So no extra cable required.

Here is some testing I did with the 2720, note the issues I had in the MicroServers

http://homeservershow.com/tag/2720

Also do a Google search with the terms "homeservershow 2720"

you can do variations of the term "homeservershow xxxxxxxx" to get a better idea of info buried in the Forums............  such as "homeservershow P410" ..

Edited by Joe_Miner

I've been reading up on the 2720, but one question remains:

The 2720 has 2 ports. Can I run a Raid 5 on one port and a raid 1 on the other?

The 2720 has two mini-SAS ports that you would attach an SFF-8087 to each giving you 8 SATA III ports.  How you use those ports is up to you.

RAID1 would take 2 ports (only 2)

RAID5 would take 3 or more ports

RAID6 would take 4 or more ports (RAID5 or 6 is becoming problematic IMO with rebuild times with larger drives)

RAID10 would take 4 ports (only 4)

Edited by Joe_Miner

The 2720 has two mini-SAS ports that you would attach an SFF-8087 to each giving you 8 SATA III ports.  How you use those ports is up to you.

RAID1 would take 2 ports (only 2)

RAID5 would take 3 or more ports

RAID6 would take 4 or more ports (RAID5 or 6 is becoming problematic IMO with rebuild times with larger drives)

RAID10 would take 4 ports (only 4)

So I take that as a yes for running a Raid 1 and Raid 5 simultaneously on the same 2720 card with 2 SFF8087 cables?