RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID card recs

generic

I know this is a relatively simplistic question but am looking for your recommendations for a new RAID card.  Am currently using a Highpoint 2720SGL but it is giving me troubles, loosing connection at times forcing a server reboot.  What suggestions would you all recommend using Adaptec or LSI hardware.  Eight port RAID 5 and/or 10.  Would love to stay below $300 US.  While I'm at it, how about a motherboard recommendation for an ATX case as well - might as well get all I can get from you pro's!  :)  The goal here is a setup that is relatively bulletproof and fast using WS2012E, currently running 12T usable RAID 5.

Thanks.

Edited by generic

If you want real hardware RAID and cache then you're going to have trouble getting a good 8 port card for under $300 if you want it new.

All of the cheap LSI RAID controllers have no memory on the card itself so performance isn't great.

Adaptec do have a handful of cards with 8 ports and 128MB cache such as the Adaptec RAID 6805E but I've no experience of them.

If however you're happy with software RAID then I'd recommend getting a good LSI SAS/SATA controller and using that with your OS provided software RAID or something like the Stablebit Drivepool software.

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 2

Thank you GNT.

I ordered the 6805 (not the E) on the used market and look forward to testing hardware RAID out.

Thanks for the link.  Will update the firmware first.

I have built too many desktop PC's to count but never used server MB/hardware.  I was really curious as to the benefits of a "server" MB in an ATX case and the tangible benefits of a "server CPU".  This is all for a home server serving all the usual benefits of WS2012E including media server and not email/Exchange. 

Update of status:

- Adaptec 8605 with AFM-600 obtained.

- Could not install into my server MB, a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 as no matter what I tried, it was not recognized.

- Exchanged MB for an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 and it booted perfectly.

- Upgraded the firmware and installed the Windows driver, again all was flawless.

- Setup a 4 disk 12T RAID 5 array.

- Added a fan to the heat sink.

And now all is running perfectly.  It is fast, silent, and error free.

Thanks Schoondoggy!