RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

32 GB Max RAM still impossible ?

bym007

Hey all,

I know this topic has been discussed to death before. But I just noticed this 32 GB on NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M8750

Is this compatible with HP Microserver Gen8 ? I am currently working with 10 GB (2 + 8 GB) and wish to upgrade to be able to design and practice VCP550 labs.

Thanks in advance.

I've done the VCP550 and 16GB is more than enough - but to answer your question, I have no idea if the 32 will work.  I'm creating a bigger lab now for which 32GB may be required so I'd be interested too if this works :)

Edited by 5aq1b

The memory listed above is Registered and will not work in a Gen8 MicroServer. The Gen8 max memory is still 16GB, due to the 8GB per memory socket limit from Intel.

I've done the VCP550 and 16GB is more than enough - but to answer your question, I have no idea if the 32 will work. I'm creating a bigger lab now for which 32GB may be required so I'd be interested too if this works :)

Saqib, I sent you a PM regarding VCP.

///M - The most powerful letter.

The Dell T20, Lenovo TS and the HP ML10 all support 32GB. For home labs I think the Intel XEON D1540 based boards will be popular.

Sadly I have 2 of these and 1 of N36L, so I am bummed.. to change to a different brand.

///M - The most powerful letter.

Not bummed at all.  You can run a VCP550 lab on a desktop with VMware Workstation - so these beauties are more than enough.

A good tip for testing CPU and Mem utilisation in the lab was to use multiple Windows 3.1 Client OS's as they're very small in size and can duplicate them easily, meaning multiple OS's running in your lab without taking up too much space.

• Like 1

Not bummed at all.  You can run a VCP550 lab on a desktop with VMware Workstation - so these beauties are more than enough.

A good tip for testing CPU and Mem utilisation in the lab was to use multiple Windows 3.1 Client OS's as they're very small in size and can duplicate them easily, meaning multiple OS's running in your lab without taking up too much space.

Yes, for multiple clients, I came across another scenario where multiple Ubuntu's were deployed.