RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgraded cpu & motherboard on client, now WSE 2012 will not back it up

dslabby

I had a perfectly working computer that was getting a little old.  I upgraded the cpu, motherboard, video and memory.  The original c: drive was cloned from a 128gb to a 240gb.  All seemed OK, except backup always failed at 1%.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the connector, no change.  Check all credentials on both server and client and they are ok.  Both the server and the client can see each other and browse files.  Three other computers on the network all backup fine.  Doesn't seem to matter if I start the backup from the server or client, fails either way. Client is running windows 8.1, server is windows server 2012 essentials.  When the backup tries to run, the hdd activity light on the client goes solid on, no flicker.  The computer seems to bog down, it is an 8 core AMD with 16gb of ram, shouldn't.  Server seems to show minimal activity, as if the client isn't send it anything.  I try to run the windows server 2012 essentials log collector, but it shows nothing, not even a record of t he backup starting.  Server dashboard shows only a failed backup if it shows anything.  Client backup database has been checked and say it's ok, repair app seems to finish very quickly, like 30 seconds, say it could and thought it would take hours to run the repair.  Maybe something wrong with it.  Did a windows refresh on the client, thinking something got messed up during the upgrade, it runs better now and I have just about reinstalled all my programs, still won't backup though.  Antivirus is Norton security and has worked with the backup server for months with no problems.  All connector functions work fine on client except backup.  Been building computers/servers and networks for a few years, and this has me stumped, everything is set up right yet it won't work.  Server is the DNS controller for the network, router handles DCHP.  To recap, client -windows 8.1, 16GB, 240gb ssd, gigabyte 990 motherboard, gigabyte lan hardwired through my asus router to the server- windows server 2012 essentials, 8GB ram, 6 core AMD cpu, 128 GB ssd c: drive, 12.5TB pool (drivepool)  Anyone has any ideas about what's going on here, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Dave

When you clone a hard drive the hardware id changes. From the dashboard select the computer, right click and select customize backup. Select add or remove backup items. Check to see if the partitions you are backing up are offline. If so, select the correct online partitions. I use WHS 2011 so the instructions may very.

Edited by Technogod

All partitions are online, only the old system reserved one was marked offline.  I deselected it and selected the new one.  Thought of this when I reinstalled the connector after the upgrade,  Would deleating the old computer and its bakups help?  Maybe the server is looking for something it can't find, I can't guarantee the drives are in the same locations they were but the drive letters are the same as before.

Just checked and all drives have the same letter as they did before the upgrade,.  My new motherboard has a default hybrid Legacy and UEFI bios, supposedly compatible with OS of both types.  The other choices were Legacy only or UEFI only.  As I didn't have any experience with the UEFI bios, I left it at the default.  All disks are GPT, none are MBR.  The OS is Windows 8.1, should I change the bios to full UEFI?  or leave it as is?

UEFI won't work with my setup, must have installed it under legacy originally.  Switched to legacy only and things boot and shut down quicker but no help on the backup just starts and sits at 1%, never goes any further.  Funny how everything else works just fine, even the Launchpad and dashboard, copy and browse on the server from the client works great too, just won't backup. :huh:

Got it sorted out.  Was Googleing for help when I ran accross a guy who had the same symptoms on the same MB but for a slightly different reason. He was running a disk intensive operation ( a SMART scanner tool like Stablebit Scanner) and got the same hdd lock I did, disk activity light maxed with rest of system more and more unresponsive until all you can do is force reboot.)  He and a buddy somehow got it narrowed down to the AHCI driver supplied by the board manf. Gigabyte, which should be better and more adapted to the hardware but apparently isn't.  Reverting back to the Microsoft driver installed by Win 8 made the isssue go away and backup function as normal.  Seems any disk intensive operation like a backup or SMART scanner can trigger some kind of loop or lockup in the Gigabyte tweaked driver and the more generic Microsoft one works without this problem.  My computer is upstairs right now at 20% backedup (4TB system, gonna take awhile for the first full backup)  They also were recommending going back to IDE from AHCI in the BIOS settings but I didn't need to, the default hdd settings in BIOS worked fine.  Thanks to those who tried to help, this was a tough one, don't always trust those drivers on the disk the manufacture gives you.  And a properly worded Google search can be your friend.

Edited by dslabby