RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Extreme Tech -- Who Makes the Most Reliable HDD's

Joe_Miner

100% of my Greens have died, 100% of my Reds still alive. Those are my Stats. 

As for you broken green drives did you try and run the tried & true hard drive utility called SpinRite by Steve Gibson to see if you can revive those drives? SpinRite is not free but depending how many drives you have the age and cost of those drives it maybe worth a shot, Have a look at Steve site there is also a video there that explains what SpinRite is for those that don't know-

https://www.grc.com/sr/whatitdoes.htm

As for you broken green drives did you try and run the tried & true hard drive utility called SpinRite by Steve Gibson to see if you can revive those drives? SpinRite is not free but depending how many drives you have the age and cost of those drives it maybe worth a shot, Have a look at Steve site there is also a video there that explains what SpinRite is for those that don't know-

https://www.grc.com/sr/whatitdoes.htm

Spinrite is more or less useless today as our drives are mostly 3+ TB.  Steve has been going to fix this issue for over 3 years! Just had a failed 3TB WD black at 2 years so I thought I would try a different one, Hitachi. After purchase I found to my surprise that WD had bought Hitachi! The failed WD has been sent back to WD under 5 year warranty and I am awaiting a result.

• Like 2

Spinrite is more or less useless today as our drives are mostly 3+ TB. Steve has been going to fix this issue for over 3 years! Just had a failed 3TB WD black at 2 years so I thought I would try a different one, Hitachi. After purchase I found to my surprise that WD had bought Hitachi! The failed WD has been sent back to WD under 5 year warranty and I am awaiting a result.

WD has kept the HGST line separate. HGST is mainly focused on NAS and Enterprise drives, as they moved their desktop line to Toshiba.

WD has kept the HGST line separate. HGST is mainly focused on NAS and Enterprise drives, as they moved their desktop line to Toshiba.

So I am more or less buying a drive that is in competition with WD developmentwise but not financialwise.

Makes me feel a little better I guess! :blink:

I never used the Green drives in RAID. They all developed apparent mechanical failures with audible clicking noises. 

Going to stick with Reds or maybe try HGST whenever I move to a NAS.

Thanks for sharing your personal "Stats" Another case in point, WD Green Drives where never designed for or meant to be used in any kind of RAID configuration because they lack 2 key technology to keep them reliable, TLER and Vibration Support. Green Drives still have a place today but thats only for single/multi drive storage in a NONE RAID setup. Click the link for a nice read on comparing WD Green vs Reds-

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Western-Digital-Green-vs-Red-Hard-Drives-602/

If you read the article I posted above you can strike out the part about disabling TLER on the Reds to use then in a NONE RAID configuration, The tools to do this have been pulled from WD sites because doing this on the newer drive could/will brick the drive...

Exactly. And people refuse to accept that it's the exact same thing that BackBlaze is doing.  Especially when you look at some of the models, and they have less than a 100 drives .... It's ludicrus that people accept their word as gospel. And frightening.

That said, Pudet systems is awesome. Shame that patent trolls shut down their mineral oil submerged kits. 

And I have two WD Green drives. They are my server backup drives. 

They're not used that often (well, twice a day, each), so they idle most of the time. They're perfect for it, and I did have one start to fail (and was replaced) before it was an issue (shameless self promotion here: StableBit Scanner saved my bacon  ).

Spinrite is more or less useless today as our drives are mostly 3+ TB.  Steve has been going to fix this issue for over 3 years! Just had a failed 3TB WD black at 2 years so I thought I would try a different one, Hitachi. After purchase I found to my surprise that WD had bought Hitachi! The failed WD has been sent back to WD under 5 year warranty and I am awaiting a result.

I've heard reports of people hacking the image to use freedos or similar to get it working... with mixed results. 

Hopefully, Alex (Covecube) will add write support in StableBit Scanner, for testing drives in the future.  I know I keep pushing the idea, periodically.