RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Extreme Tech -- Who Makes the Most Reliable HDD's

Joe_Miner

Just saw this so I thought folks would be interested though I think the analysis is faulty comparing desktop vs consumer NAS drives and I believe we know from previous articles that many of the drives from the 2012 timeframe were "harvested" from USB external enclosures http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives 

• Like 1

And this is why I get pissy when people bring up the BackBlaze "Statistics".... They're forever quoted as "fact"... Even though, it's "statistically insignificant", based on the number of drive they've used, and incredibly questionable (quality control, sourced, operating conditions, etc).

Because other sites quote them. And the myth get perpetuated.  

Apple just announced a recall of Imacs for faulty 3tb drives. - does anyone know the manufacturer of those drives?

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

I still like Seagate the best. I think I have had one failure in 15 years. I know most like WD bit they are the worst drives for me, with the exception of velociraptors.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Apple just announced a recall of Imacs for faulty 3tb drives. - does anyone know the manufacturer of those drives?

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

The cheapest line of drive manufactured right after the infamous floods? 

Just saying. 

And yes, the ST3000DM001 line of drives have an issue. They're the only line that does, from what I understand.  Take them out of the BackBlaze stats, and suddenly, you have an even match.

Also BackBlaze shells external drives... uses desktop quality drives which don't have vibration compensation really, in 45+ bay enclosures, where there is going to be a LOT of activity and vibration.

No f***ing wonder they have a lot of failures.

I still like Seagate the best. I think I have had one failure in 15 years. I know most like WD bit they are the worst drives for me, with the exception of velociraptors.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Same. Even though I had 10~ of the ST3000DM001's fail on me. 

Aside from these drives, I've had significantly more issues with WD Drives.

Also, comparing the Seagate NAS to the WD Reds? The seagates run cooler and perform better (10-20MB/s faster) than the WD Reds.

Unfortunately, Seagate, Hitachi, WDC, Toshiba, and other manufacturers and data centers have (and probably never will) publicly release failure rates of their drives.  

I applaud BackBlaze for their efforts to try to get a higher level of transparency, but they went about it in LITERALLY the worst possible way.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I prefer Hitachi drives, but WD are good but only depending on which model i.e their enterprise drives. Bottom of my list is WD Blue, Seagate and at work these are the drives the mostly fail for users.

I use to like samsung until the sold the division off to Seagate.

just my opinon.

The one samsung I bought ended up dead slightly after the warranty expired (it was refurbed so this is like 100 days...)

I avoid most of the 'colors' and have preferred WD 'black'. I do not regret that decision. I will not attempt to provide statistics.

Just saw this so I thought folks would be interested though I think the analysis is faulty comparing desktop vs consumer NAS drives and I believe we know from previous articles that many of the drives from the 2012 timeframe were "harvested" from USB external enclosures http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives 

This is all very interesting & I do agree with Drashna about BackBlaze and there "Statistics", Y on earth would they be using every kind of drive known to man kind including desktop drives for a commercial backup business is nothing short of amazing to me. I take the stance that everyone's mileage will vary with hard drives kind of Ford vs Chevy, Some people have good luck with Ford while others have good luck with Chevy, I myself have had very bad luck with Seagate drives but very good luck with WD Reds. I have 20 6TB Reds across multiple locations and not had one ounce of trouble with them vs when I had Seagate I had several drives fail over the course of a year so once again mileage will vary. Stick to what works for you, plane and simple, Use the proper drive for the application such as don't use a desktop or green drive in a NAS or RAID and chances are you will be fine. Problem is I believe that people think its OK to use desktop drives for the wrong application because its cheaper then they fail then its Seagate or WD Su??s and that's simple not fair. All hard drive manufactures have there problems with faulty drives, no exception here.

It just floors me that people complain when something does not work like in the case of people will get a Server grade OS like Microsoft WSE 2012 or Microsoft Sever 2012 and install it on hardware for the desktop then complain when something does not work, Hello this is a server OS and is meant to be installed on server grade hardware not some Gigabyte desktop mother board, Again use the hardware that's right for the application NOT whats the cheapest. I use to do the same thing till I had way to much trouble and now I purchase server grade hardware if its a Server OS and I don't have half the problems I had before... end of rant.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

100% of my Greens have died, 100% of my Reds still alive. Those are my Stats. 

Thanks for sharing your personal "Stats" Another case in point, WD Green Drives where never designed for or meant to be used in any kind of RAID configuration because they lack 2 key technology to keep them reliable, TLER and Vibration Support. Green Drives still have a place today but thats only for single/multi drive storage in a NONE RAID setup. Click the link for a nice read on comparing WD Green vs Reds-

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Western-Digital-Green-vs-Red-Hard-Drives-602/

If you read the article I posted above you can strike out the part about disabling TLER on the Reds to use then in a NONE RAID configuration, The tools to do this have been pulled from WD sites because doing this on the newer drive could/will brick the drive...