RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

How to Set Up 2 LAN's at Home with 2 Routers

Poppapete

So you have 4 nics. 3 active and one spare, smart move!

nrf

yes, once burned think ahead

itGeeks

the tinkertry recipes are very good, I don't think the 'messing with the router' part comes into play unless you turn on remote access (web access or vpn.) in case you need that, server will only be able to 'mess' with it for you if you have upnp, otherwise you get to open/forward the required port(s). 

Corect and UPnP "should" be disabled and not used on any router, Its a big security risk

• Like 1

itGeeks

So when you put in an extra NIC card it shows up in the sophos as "eth2" Internal?

Then you can setup a bunch of rules for that interface?

EDIT:

Read the Manual.  Looks like I have to do a reinstall for Sophos to recognize a new Card!!

Poppapete I added a duel Intel NIC after Sophos was installed and it recognized both NICs without a problem, No re-install needed.

Poppapete

Poppapete I added a duel Intel NIC after Sophos was installed and it recognized both NICs without a problem, No re-install needed.

That's interesting. I was just quoting directly from the manual.  What card did you use?  Is it a 1U, my Sophos is in a 1U rack. Why did you add the extra NIC's?

itGeeks

That's interesting. I was just quoting directly from the manual.  What card did you use?  Is it a 1U, my Sophos is in a 1U rack. Why did you add the extra NIC's?

O boy you have asked me for a loaded question on this & one that I cant answer in a short reply so here it goes. I am going to try and answer your questions the best I can in the least amount of words. I use Supper Micro 1U servers with an Atom D525 I think for all my Firewall installations, All you have to do is add Ram & a Hard Drive Install what ever OS and off you go. I don't remember the model of the server but if you would like to know I get get that for you. I installed a Supermicro Aoc-Sg-I2 2-Port Low-Profile Gigabit Ethernet Pci-E Adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OYEAH6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 that Sophos picked up and worked just fine. As for y did I ad the extra NICs well I have FiOs internet & TV and they absolutely want to be first inline with there router or else the TV service will brake in one form or another so after fighting this for over a year I thought I could beat the system by setting up a DMZ for the FiOs router but that did not work either so I gave up now. I now have Sophos setup as a DMZ off the FiOs router and everything is working perfect. I am not happy with being double natted of the FioS router but at least when my wife gets home at 11 PM from work I no longer here heavy foot steps coming down the hall waking me up as to y there is no guide data or the TV wont change channels so all is good.

Edited by MrFixit

nrf

my problem could have been related to 'minusing' a nic or a change of nic type or maybe the software has gotten better about it in recent releases...

Poppapete

I installed a Supermicro Aoc-Sg-I2 2-Port Low-Profile Gigabit Ethernet Pci-E Adapter

I have a Supermicro SYS-5018D-MF which I assume would be fine with that adapter.  Do you remember if you had to load any Linux Drivers or did it just see the ports on reboot? I see it has Intel Chips and is not cheap.

itGeeks

I have a Supermicro SYS-5018D-MF which I assume would be fine with that adapter.  Do you remember if you had to load any Linux Drivers or did it just see the ports on reboot? I see it has Intel Chips and is not cheap.

I have one of those servers sitting in a box still, Just trying to find the time and use for it. I also have E3-1220 V2 Quad Core Xeon proccesor with 16GB of Samsung ECC memory that I am going to use in this build. The NIC should work just fine in your server & no I did not have to load any drivers, Sophos picked up the NICs on reboot. :) The server I am using for Sophos is the-

Supermicro SuperServer Atom D525 1U Rackmount Server Barebone System, Black SYS-5015A-EHF-D525 I maxed out the RAM with 4GB and added a hard drive, This box runs great!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GKULFO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UJPCJ7HNQ38G&coliid=ILRSSVZDNCPXT

And your right, Its not cheap but then ageain what is when it comes to server grade hardware? If you want to take a chance on eBay I found it used for 25.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/371300283852?lpid=82&chn=ps

Edited by MrFixit

Poppapete

I have Xeon E3-1230V3 and 2 X 4GB ECC 1600MHz of memory in that MB.  I know it's overkill for a router, more like a server. Contacted my SuperMicro supplier here in Australia and he suggested (and I will order):

1 x Intel  Ethernet I350 T2 V2 Server adapter RJ45 PCI-E 1 x Intel  Ethernet I350 T2 V2 Server adapter RJ45 PCI-E

It comes with a low profile bracket for the 1U.

After 3 months of operation one of the fans packed it in and the other one really stared to roar when under load but the CPU temp did not move much. My supplier said the chassis was designed to operate with one fan down. They replaced both fans free of charge and I have had no trouble for 6 months. I have the IPMI port attached to my LAN and using IPMIview the fan speed and all temperatures can be monitored and controlled to some extent. I installed Sophos using the IPMI so never have had to attach a keyboard or mouse to the system.